PDA

View Full Version : Reraise the river?

tech
04-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Do you call the river raise or 3-bet?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 3s 2h (three of a kind, threes).
UTG shows Ks Kc (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 11.50 BB. </font>

aas
04-27-2004, 11:33 AM
3-bet the river. The jack is not scary for your set.

Make a not on MP3.

DamnRiver
04-27-2004, 12:24 PM
re-raise. UTG played this poorly.

bisonbison
04-27-2004, 12:52 PM
It's hard to do in the moment, but forget the results and walk though the hand. What do you put UTG on that would make him raise the river?

If he's anywhere near halfway decent, he can only have a 3 if there's an ace attached. He wouldn't limp with J3, T3, or 53. And I think you would have heard from that 3 on the turn.

He might limp with TT and definitely would with 55, but probably not with JJ, and again you probably would have heard from TT or 55 on the turn.

No, I think his most likely hand, based on his actions is something like JT. So reraise.

In this case, he showed you something wacky, but even against bad players, you're gonna want to do this kind of exercise in the middle of the hand.

tech
04-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Definitely. And that's basically the process I went through (although I was multitabling so wasn't able to give it enough attention). The only thing is that JT doesn't seem logical because I would expect him to raise the turn. J9, KJ, or AJ seem more logical. It also would not surprise me at all to see 63s or 53s given the typical Party player.

Reraising is definitely the superior play I think, even without looking at the results. Unfortunately, my weak-tight side outgunned my TAG side in the heat of battle.

bisonbison
04-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Why would you expect him to raise the turn with JT but not J9, KJ or AJ? Raising is tough to do when you're passive.

53 or 63 would surprise me a lot. Party players with trips tend to jump you on the turn.

tech
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
JT gives him tens and threes on the turn. If we are still assuming he is a reasonable player, he should raise it unless he figures me for the trips. J9, KJ, AJ still give him basically nothing on the turn.

bmedwar
04-27-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you expect him to raise the turn with JT but not J9, KJ or AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because he would have had top pair with JT. It certainly seems like he hit two pair on the river. The way he played his two kings is pretty bad. I would have re-raised.

bisonbison
04-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I think you guys are overthinking this. You might raise that hand. Most passive players would not. They've found a hand that's good enough to call down with, but not necessarily raise - cause they don't want to have to fold, and they don't want to have to call a reraise on your part.