PDA

View Full Version : Chickening Out on the River

bigjay
04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Been trying to work on my aggressive and maximizing bets but it's hands like this one that give me trouble. Table was very loose passive, lots of calling down with gutshots, etc.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (12.75 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

With the way the table was playing I didn't feel like paying two bets to see the ten rather than the one if I checked. Too weak?

sthief09
04-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Loose and passive should be more of a reason to bet. They will be more apt to call you with pocket underpairs or a pair of jacks, which will more than make up for the times that someone has a T. If an A or K made a straight I'd be a lot more hesitant, but there aren't as many hands with a T in them as an A or a K.

If you were against people that would only call with a straight or top pair good kicker, then this is thin.