PDA

View Full Version : Correct To Call This All-In?

ThePopinjay
04-26-2004, 08:06 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t675)
CO (t750)
Hero (t1570)
SB (t720)
BB (t730)
UTG (t1550)
UTG+1 (t420)
MP1 (t970)
MP2 (t615)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls t60, SB folds, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t195) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t100</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1490 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t1190.

Turn: (t3175) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

River: (t3175) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: t3175
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t3175 (t3175), between Hero and UTG.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t3175).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Td Th (three of a kind, tens).
Hero shows Jc Js (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins t3175. </font>

I only called because I thought since we were both the biggest stacks at the tourney, he was trying to play on my fear of getting knocked out early w/a lot of chips. Is calling the all-in the right or wrong play? Feel free to critique anything else as well.

jedi
04-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Wow. Well, I'd probably call but I'm sure that's NOT the right move.

Look at it this way. You've got 1210 after the 300 raise. The best thing you're realistically up against is A /images/graemlins/club.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif. The worst thing you're up against is a set or an overpair. It's still very early in the tournament. Doubling up here can give you a great shot at 1st place. Losing here means you're out of the tournament. If you're okay with taking chances, knowing that there's another SnG around the corner, then go ahead. Otherwise, this smells like a hand that can beat top pair.

Girazze
04-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Being that he was 2nd in the chip lead, just shy of your own stack, I would have put him on a flopped set right away. What other reason would he have to risk all his chips against the only person on the table that could knock him out of the tourney. So putting him on a set against my JJ, I would have folded and went to the next hand. IMO, I say you got extremely lucky and should have been short stack after that one.

37offsuit
04-27-2004, 08:17 AM
I would pick a better spot. What kind of hand did you expect him to have here? It was a small raise, so maybe AT, but does AT reraise you all in when you've already committed $400 on the flop if he doesn't think he has you beat? I think that at the very least, you're looking at a pair over yours or a set under. You got lucky on the end with your two outter (not accounting for the runner runner flush possibility).

t_perkin
04-27-2004, 02:10 PM
This is quite a tough one to get away from especially if you have no read on the player.

In our 2+2 SnGs this would be an easy fold, he must have a set or a good chance of an overpair.

What buyin was this? At low buyin I would put him on a flush draw or set.

At a higher buyin he basically has to have a set or absolute outside 7c8c but this doesn't really fit the PF min raise.

I would have made a raise PF. that min raise could mean AA or KK, especially this early in the tournament from a big stack. A raise to T150 will let you know if you should be folding and it will get rid of the BB which you really don't want tagging along against your JJ.
Of course you do risk AK pushing in after your PF raise but I wouldn't really be too sorry to fold JJ here.
None of this helps you here but just thought I would comment.

Tim