PDA

View Full Version : Recent Status

mike331111
04-26-2004, 07:11 PM
From early Dec to Early March I was able to win appoximately $8,200 playing 10/20 Hold 'em. Since than I have been unable to win any more, often losing one night, winning the next and have pretty much broken even over the past nearly 2 months. I have read several books and feel I have improved my play (currently reading Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney and I feel it is excellent). I often do find myself playing too many hands either because of being outdrawn by a bad beat to make up for it (maybe a small tilt). Is my breaking even just a natural flux in the game or is my game just not good enough. I play approximately 25 hours a week, more or less depending on how busy I am with school, I am also only 20. Any advice?

Bartholow
04-26-2004, 08:45 PM
The variance in poker is quite large. You will have flat periods, big upswings and big downswings.

The tricky part is figuring out which parts are the anomalies. I'd like to say "hang in there, things will get better" but to be fair you could have just gotten lucky to begin with. Keep studying and playing your best and chances are whether or not you were lucky before you'll make money in the future.

sweetzer
04-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Six weeks at 25 hours per week, or 150 hours, is certainly not the long run, and you are not describing a significant loss of 150 plus big bets, but essentially breaking even. Most new players are not prepared for the fluctuation inherant in this game. Losing 150 big bets periodically is going to happen to even very good players, see some related posts by Clarkmeister. It's good that you can recognize that you are tilting after bad beats: I would forget the phrase "small tilt", it's "tilt". The John Feeney book is certainly one of the best, and gives an excellent perspective on "tilting". Other than playing more hands, what else are you doing that is different in this period? If you are in a regular live game, are the other players becoming more aggressive against you? However, if you are only twenty, chances are you are playing online. Are you keeping notes on players, which is one of the key advantages of playing online. Have you read TPFAP at least five times? Have you read the Ciaffone/Briar book and the Roy Cooke compilation as well as his regular articles? If you are playing multiple games online, are you really capable of doing this profitably, or would you be better off playing a single game until your winning becomes more consistent? Have you posted hands on this forum, and are the responders respecting your plays? The above are not specific answers, but perhaps more specific questions are needed on your part. Start by posting a few hands.

mike l.
04-26-2004, 11:04 PM
"I often do find myself playing too many hands either because of being outdrawn by a bad beat to make up for it (maybe a small tilt)."

this is not small tilt, this is full blown tilt, and it will make even great players (and ive never met a 20 year old who is a great player, maybe there are some online) break even or maybe a little better. when youre done with that feeney book, start over and read it again. and again. and again. and read the psychology forum on here. also go to tiltless.com and hire tommy angelo. then you should be back to $8k a month or something in no time.

Ed Miller
04-27-2004, 04:37 AM
I am also only 20. Any advice?

Step 1 - Turn 21.
Step 2 - Post a winning session.
Step 3 - Drink lots of beer.
Step 4 - Post a losing session.
Step 5 - Drink lots of beer.

If you do it right, you'll very drunk, dead even, and really !@#$ing happy.

chesspain
04-27-2004, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am also only 20. Any advice?

Step 1 - Turn 21.
Step 2 - Post a winning session.
Step 3 - Drink lots of beer.
Step 4 - Post a losing session.
Step 5 - Drink lots of beer.

If you do it right, you'll very drunk, dead even, and really !@#$ing happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised you didn't save this for the "Quiz" appendix in the upcoming book.

nykenny
04-27-2004, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I often do find myself playing too many hands either because of being outdrawn by a bad beat to make up for it (maybe a small tilt).

[/ QUOTE ]

playing extra hands because of bad beats??? you have been tilting. that's one of your problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Is my breaking even just a natural flux in the game or is my game just not good enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

depending how long you have been breaking even, it could be both.

Kenny

Mason Malmuth
04-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Hi Mike:

From your comments, my guess would be that the $8,000 win was more likely the fluctuation, not your breaking even.

However, it's my experience, that when struggling with your results, it can be very difficult to come out of it. An aid is to play very tightly preflop. Part of the reason for this is that when struggling your judgement can erode. That is you won't make good decisions in those tough situations. Now instead of winning a little in these spots, you begin to lose a lot.

So by playing very tightly preflop, you will run into less tough decisions on the flop and beyond. Once you begin to win again, you can go back to playing a few more hands.

Best wishes,
Mason