PDA

View Full Version : How are HPFAP hand rankings calculated?

06-06-2002, 12:50 AM
Anyone know? The book refers to another book. I'm doing an analysis for this forum and need this info. The more detail the better. Thanks

06-06-2002, 11:49 AM

06-06-2002, 03:19 PM
The rankings were created by David Sklansky alone. I believe they were first published in the first copy of Hold'em poker in 1976 and have had small revisions over the years.

Basically, they are a ranking of the hands based on how much money they will win in the long run. How did Skalnsky figure this out? Well...he's David Sklansky. That's how.

06-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Take a look at the generic Poki hand rankings (I forget the URL, but Poki is that artifical-intelligence hold'em program they've developed at a university somewhere) and you'll find they resemble Slansky's rankings very closely. If I remember, the Poki hand ratings--which are used only as an initial input into much more refined calculations--are based on an all-in scenario of the various hands competing head-up for a million deals. (I think it's head-up, but I could be wrong, and it makes a big difference).

I don't know if Slansky has ever explained the calculations behind his rankings, however.

06-06-2002, 10:54 PM

06-07-2002, 01:50 AM
It was a serious answer.