PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Bet for Value"

06-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but I often see the phrase "Bet for Value" or "Value Bet". I understand that in a drawing/pot odds sort of way(i.e. whether the expected odds of getting a card is justified by the size of the pot), but I see it in other discussions, such as calling a river bet or leading on the river, when no further cards are to come. I guess I don't understand how the term is used with respect to made (or busted I suppose) hand evaluation. Any help would be appreciated.

06-05-2002, 07:19 PM
It means your bet has value because someone with a worse hand might call and that benefits you. For instance, if you highly suspect your opponent has AK and you have AA and the final board is Kc 8c 3d Jd 4s and your opponent checks, you "bet for value". Using the same board as above, it follows that if you have 88 and think your opponent has K4 when they come alive at the river you would "raise for value".

This can be contrasted with betting for deception, betting "on the come" (with a draw), betting a bluff, or raising for a free card. "For value" denotes you want to get called.

KJS

06-05-2002, 07:25 PM
"This can be contrasted with betting for deception, betting "on the come" (with a draw), betting a bluff, or raising for a free card. "For value" denotes you want to get called."

This makes a lot of sense. Thanks much for the info.