PDA

View Full Version : Limit SNGs

Centrist
04-26-2004, 03:21 PM
It seems like most of the discussion here is about NL SNGs, including that excellent tutorial a while back by benfranklin.

I wonder if we have many here who play limit ... and, if so, if you'd like to discuss strategy. I suspect it's very different from the optimal NL strategy, and also simpler. Maybe that's why I like it better than NL.

The weird thing is, I actually built my bankroll at the NL ring games. Yet I'm somehow not inclined right now to play NL SNGs.

Anyway, here is what I would consider a basic strategy:

Rounds 1 to 3:
For the first several rounds, you have a little bit of leeway, but you mostly want to play really tight. You want to make sure you make it to level 4, minimum, even if you don't win a hand.

You should only play aggressively with a couple of the premium hands -- AA and KK. Keep betting/raising pre-flop and on the flop. Back off and call someone down if they're betting aggressively in later rounds on a coordinated board.

Your odds of winning with AA and KK are strong enough to make the risk worth it -- and raising early increases those odds.

You can also play speculative hands for one bet. I would limit those to pocket pairs -- aiming for a set. That way you know if you've made it on the flop, and can fold (or hit the gas) after having risked one bet.

Suited aces or connectors might tempt you to stay in -- if you have a four-flush ... and you have only a 1 in 3 chance of making the flush. Fold them and avoid temptation.

With this early round strategy, most of the time you will play very few hands, win nothing, bleed away some chips, and make it to rounds 4 or 5 with perhaps $500 to $600 in chips.

Occasionally, you'll have a big hand or two and have $800 to $1200.

Rounds 4 to 6:
Most of the time, you're short-stacked here, and you're looking to steal or double-up.

You're trying, at this stage, to let players drop out and let the blinds rise before you make your move. A pre-flop raise will win the blinds more often (and they'll be worth more) when you have 5 people left than when you have 8. So you're still playing a waiting game -- looking for that opportunity to either steal or double ... both being easier to do with a smaller field.

You can use one of several moves, here:

1. Wait until the field dwindles and blinds rise, pick an ok hand (like Ax or a pair) and open raise.

2. Get lucky and find yourself with a premium hand, raising all the way.

3. Identify a couple of tight players sitting next to each other, and raise when they have the blinds.

You will probably need to win at least two hands to make final 3. There's definitely some skill and subtlety involved in knowing when you're positioned for F3, when you can wait it out and when you need to selectively attack.

There's a basic balance involved here. You don't want to let your stack fall below, say $450 or so ... you want to make one of the above moves before then. But you want to do it as late a round as possible, with as small a field. You'll have fewer callers, and your raise is bigger money. Wait until the blinds are worth risking your stack for.

Later Rounds/Final 3:

If you scramble your way into the money, attack. You may be out in one hand. If you win that first hand, though, you're in the running and your attacks have weight behind them because you can hurt their stack.

When your first attack or two works, you're probably in F2, and the trick, of course is to play really good heads-up poker. That's the part I'm not so good at.

Any thoughts/observations about this strategy are most welcome. Thanks.

tolbiny
04-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Hi centrist,
I just started playing 10+1 Limit SNGs this past week, and have played about 30 of them so far (i have played probably another 100 very sporadically in the past 3 years) so i am not the most experienced but would love to banter strategy.

It seems that you are giving up way to much in the early rounds by only playing hands like AA and KK aggressively. The fist level bets are only 15-30 and are not really a signifigane portion of your stack, and at the levels i play (i dont know what you play and how it differs) you often see a good number of limpers early on. I like to play suited connectors in late position as well as the PP's, since i dont have the fear of having to call an all-in bet preflop or on the flop. I basically play my strategy that i play for 5-10 live games at this point, straightforward and aggressive with almost no bluffing. Picking up a 300-500 chip pot early can make your decisions a lot easier, and keeps the chips out of you opponents hands. I dont like the idea of trying to make it to round 5 with 500-600 chips when the blinds are 100-200 and can eat away at yous stack if you happen to be blinding first when they move up a level. One of the other problems i find is that when you *occasionally* get a tighter table and end up with late in round 4 with 9 players left and you have only 500 in chips you are going to have a difficut climb back into a strong position.
I definately like identifying the tighter blinds early and trying to steal from them a bit more than i otherwise would.
I will start to post some of my limit SNG hands to see if we can get some more interest in them here.

blackaces13
04-26-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm intersted in limit SNG's too as I'm trying to decide whether or not to only play NL's or only play limits. As I see it NL gives you much more of an edge and makes luck less of a factor which as a good player you should always relish. However I'm much more comfortable playing limit and I know I am a better limit ring game player than I am a NL cash game player.

However, it really seems to me that I am giving up too much by playing limit in SNGs, there are many players early on who are willing to give you their stack with top 2-pair when you hit the nut flush, also they'll let you draw relatively cheaply. There are no ways to exploit bad players to this extent in limit.

I'll be glad to talk specific strategy about limit SNGs but first I think a more important question is whether or not competant players are giving up too much in the way of luck by even playing limit. Do you think its even possible to have a 50% ROI in limit? I tend to doubt it.

sublime
04-26-2004, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be glad to talk specific strategy about limit SNGs but first I think a more important question is whether or not competant players are giving up too much in the way of luck by even playing limit. Do you think its even possible to have a 50% ROI in limit? I tend to doubt it.

[/ QUOTE ]

NL is "sexier" which attracts more loose players. Also the main reason I started playing NL SnG's is to vary my game. There are plenty of +EV home tourney opp's for me and having the on-line experiance gives me that much more of an edge.

tolbiny
04-26-2004, 07:12 PM
50% ROI does seem high for limit tourneys, and i would guess that on average they would take longer to play each one. However, i think that my game is better suited to play limit (as i have little experience in NL) and i am more comfortable play Limit SNGs trying to build my bankroll. My initial thought is to play several hundred of each tourney and look at my stats to see what the difference in ROI is and go from there.

blackaces13
04-26-2004, 07:50 PM
That's sort of my plan too. However, thats a lot of time and therefore an opportunity cost. Also I don't think 100 is near enough to make any definitive conclusions. Suppose you win at a 34% rate in NL and 29% in limit. Do you now feel confident to play NL all the time the forseeable future?

Obviously not but perhaps along the way something would just click inside of you and you'd just inately realize which style you prefered, even if the statistics didn't "prove" anything.

As it is with me after about 20 of each I'm starting to lean towards NL because aften times there are 4 or 5 players out by level 2 or 3. This NEVER happens in limit in my experience. I'd much rather deal with a few gigantic stacks and less players than more even stacks and more players.

tolbiny
04-26-2004, 08:14 PM
"Also I don't think 100 is near enough to make any definitive conclusions. Suppose you win at a 34% rate in NL and 29% in limit. Do you now feel confident to play NL all the time the forseeable future?"

i intend to play several hundred before making a decision, and yes there is an opportunity cost but if i find that it is sig more profitable to play one over then i think it would be well worth it. And to answer your question if i end up with a 5% difference between the ROI on each of them i would be comfortable just taking that route (untill the ROI changed of course).

blackaces13
04-26-2004, 09:03 PM
I see, you said several hundred, that makes sense. I still think it will be more than stats that will make the decision for you in the end.

Good luck on your journey.

Centrist
04-27-2004, 11:06 AM
That's what I was wondering -- if I'm being too tight early on.

So, basically, in addition to pocket pairs, you'd play Ax suited and suited connectors in late position when there are several limpers. Risk a couple bets for that chance at a flush, or some exotic flop that gives you two pair or trips.