PDA

View Full Version : Troubles on the bubble…

imcastleman
04-26-2004, 02:14 PM
I’ve been getting quite a few 4ths and 5ths in the Sit n Go’s at Party and wonder about some of the following plays:

1) I have about 2400T, blinds are 200/400 and I have AQ on the button. The short stack who was UTG folded and had 700T. At this stage of the tournament, should I be concerned with getting in the money before making aggressive plays? In this case, I pushed all in with this hand and got called by the BB who had JJ. I lost the tournament here but can I do this any differently or should I do this every time?

2) Similar situation as above. I have an average stack 2200T and have 44 on the button and it is folded to me. This time the small blind is the shortest stack and UTG is average and big blind is large stack of 4000T. Again I raise all in and am called by Big blind who has AT and I lose. This hand is certainly a little more risky than hand one and maybe I should be laying this one down. What are your thoughts?

3) In this case, I am the short stack (700T) down to 5, and the blinds are 150/300. Should I be pushing with any 2 big cards if it is folded to me or should I just push with any Ace and pocket pairs?? In this case, I pushed with QT and was called by A7suited and lost.

Overall, I played 145 $55 tourneys this past week and got 1st 19 times, 2nd 19 times, and 3rd 14 times. I was a winner for the week but am only getting 13% ROI. I have read that some of you guys are claiming to get upwards of 40% ROI. I would love to be able to achieve this but 40 seems unrealistic.

LetsRock
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
1. IMO shoving with AQ in this position is not correct. Raising a couple times the BB is big enough to know if you're going to get intereset or just steal the blinds. You don't NEED to get caried away here - let the short stacks get themselves in trouble.

2.Again, why are you risking the whole tourney on a 44? If you have both blinds covered, it makes a little more sense, but with BB covering you it's a real risky move.

3.WHen I'm the short stack and get below 10BB, I start looking for reasons to shove. Suited Aces, Big AXs, connected broadways, any PP above 77 (Maybe less depending on my urgency). At this point, you need to get lucky so find your best shot and take it, no regrets.

OF course everything I say is highly dependent on my reads of the people in question, If the big stack has been willing to stay out of the way of problematic encounteres, I'm more likely to try something, but usually not for the whole stack. Your hands are strong, but marginal enough to be a little careful with. Leave yourself an out, just in case someone makes a play at you. Live to fight another hand.

NotMitch
04-26-2004, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. IMO shoving with AQ in this position is not correct. Raising a couple times the BB is big enough to know if you're going to get intereset or just steal the blinds. You don't NEED to get caried away here - let the short stacks get themselves in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had 6x bb, are you going to raise half your stack and fold to a reraise? I push with AQ here every time. Yes it makes 4th more likely but 1st as well.

PlayerA
04-26-2004, 04:45 PM
I think your play in each situation was reasonable and have made similar plays in similar situations myself. I've also had similar results and I am interested in hearing what others think. I'm trying to adjust my bubble strategy. $20 is better than zilch and being the big stack in the final 3 doesn't mean much with the blinds at the crapshoot level (although it depends on the relative sizes of the 2 short stacks (if they are roughly equal, then being the stack is very good because they will be playing tight)). Having said all that...

1) Fold or all-in. I think folding is ok since UTG is about to get blinded out and BB has you covered (note that I would push if UTG was in since I would prefer to be HU against a (hopefully) rag A).

2) What exaclty was the short stack? Folding is fine if the short stack is in danger of being blinded and BB can afford to gamble with you.

3) I think this play is fine. QT vs A7 is better than A6 vs A7. Only way I would fold is if I thought someone else might do something stupid.