PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hands: Axo & small unsuited connectors

pittsburgh_kid
04-26-2004, 01:49 PM
I am sure that this has been debated to death, but I wanted to get the consensus on these hands. They are tempting to play, esp. for one bet, but I'm getting the feeling that they are unprofitable.

Background: I play in fairly loose $4-8 and $5-10 games; online, I play $2-4 (making first forays in online play, and still getting the hang of the differences between online and B&M play).

AXo - this hand really needs to flop 2 pair to be worth anything. Sometimes, it will flop a gutshot straight draw with a potential overcard win.
My question:
Do you ever limp with AXo from early position? Middle position? If there's a raise in front of me from a player I respect a little bit, I'll toss AT without a second thought, but am usually very willing to limp with it, and as position improves, to limp with A9, A8, A7, A6, A5, A4, even A3 or A2 in cutoff or on button.

Should AXo (with X being any card 9 or lower) be tossed no matter what? Am I costing myself a lot of money here?

If I hold AXs, I am VERY willing to play, because if I catch a draw to my flush, it's the nuts.

Depending on the game, if I am in cutoff or on button and am the first one in, I'll raise with this hand as blindsteal, but that's a different scenario.

Other question:
unsuited connectors where the top card is below 10 (8,9; 7,8; 6,7; 5,6; 4,5) --- are these playable in any position? The higher the better, of course, and never from early position, but should you limp with these holdings from late position? Should you defend the blind with them? If there are already a couple of limpers, should you limp in middle or late position with 8,9o?

They seem to be long-range money losers, unless you flop a straight (which, of course can lose to a higher straight). Even flopping 2 pair is a challenge, as someone likely flopped a good draw to beat you, or runner-runner overcards could kill you.

Thanks for your insight

bisonbison
04-26-2004, 02:01 PM
A2o - A9o are trash. 32o - Qjo are trash. 42o - QTo are trash.

They're all easily dominated money sinks.

sublime
04-26-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should AXo (with X being any card 9 or lower) be tossed no matter what? Am I costing myself a lot of money here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will play A9o in LP and the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
If I hold AXs, I am VERY willing to play, because if I catch a draw to my flush, it's the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good hand, depending on the table I will limp with it(usually) from alomost anywhere. Also I have no problem laying it down if the flop is a rainbow with an A and I am bet into and hold A2 etc.....

sublime
04-26-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will play A9o in LP and the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

And a little (tall) bird just told me to fold A9 even in LP. I will /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think playing way to many Ace's is a fish's most glaring mistake. And apparently it is a weakness of a baby shark also. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sthief09
04-26-2004, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A2o - A9o are trash. 32o - Qjo are trash. 42o - QTo are trash.

They're all easily dominated money sinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

while I agree with bison 100% (as always), I wanted to add something.

if no one has entered the pot and you're in LMP, CO, or button, you can raise with some of these hands. I can't tell you which ones, because it all depends on the players behind you. if they are tight, you can get away with open-raising ahand like QTo 3 off the button. if they are loose, you should muck the hand. in general, if I wake up with A9o in the cutoff and everyone has folded to me, I'll raise it up just about all the time. the reason for this is that you're guaranteed a small pot, and big unsuited cards are very valuable in small pots.

but the thing you have to realize is that unsuited cards have reverse implied odds. when a bunch of people limp to you and you have a hand like QJo, it's tempting to call since it seems like you're getting good odds. but the problem is that your one-pair isn't likely at all to hold up.

my general rule (and this doesn't apply for all situations) is if I have unsuited cards that I'm not willing to raise, I'll fold them. there are exceptions, but this is my view the vast majority of the time.

Spyder
04-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I never play AXo or unsuited connectors below T9, except in the blinds. I will attempt to steal the blinds with AXo, especially if the X is a 9 or 8, and will defend my blinds with any A or K. To play T9o in the small blind, I need lots of limpers in front.

Spyder
aka Arachnyd on PartyPoker.com