PDA

View Full Version : I was close to a WSOP seat when I went insane...thoughts?

nolanfan34
04-26-2004, 01:08 PM
OK, a little preface before the tongue lashings begin.

I'm a relative newbie to these forums, but a student of the game, and always trying to learn. I finally put $50 into Stars this past week for the first time. Mostly have played microlimit and some $5 SNG, made some nice gains in my first week, more than doubling up so far.

SO, yesterday, I decided to give one of the WSOP $2+r turbo sats a try. Short version, survived the satelite and made it into the 11:30 est $33+r one seat guaranteed event. I'm sure others were in this one too.

After making the 2nd break and being down to t2000, I doubled up a couple of times, and watched as the players dwindled down. 1st paid the trip, 2-15th was $650, and 16th was $60. Anyway, I barely limped into the top-15, but was estatic as this was my first real money multi-table tourney, and $650 guaranteed is a pretty big score for me.

This is where I went insane. Since 2nd paid the same as 15th, I started to pretty much push any holding where I thought I would be a coin-flip or better.

Long story short, it worked for a while, as we got down to the final three. After 5 hours of playing (I know, nothing new for the carpal tunnel folks), I don't know how to explain it, but I just kind of lost touch with the gravity of the situation. I mean, I was the chip leader in the final 3, with a WSOP seat on the line!

So, the point of this post. I have gone back and checked my hand history, and have noticed all of the mistakes I made, but want some thoughts on this hand:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20000 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t397260)
BB (t276844)
Button (t393396)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
Button folds, Hero completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t60000</font>, Hero calls t40000.

Flop: (t112000) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t80000</font>, Hero calls t80000.

Turn: (t272000) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t40000</font>, Hero calls t40000.

River: (t352000) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t80000</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t432000
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t352000 (t352000), won by BB.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t80000 (t80000), overbet by BB.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB doesn't show.
Outcome: BB wins t432000. </font>

I know I misplayed this badly. I should have either folded PF or pushed all-in. Certainly shouldn't have chased that draw, but I just knew I'd bust him if I hit it. Poor logic I know. Two hands later the BB and I were both eliminated on the same hand, and the 3rd player won the trip.

So, I would appreciate any and all comments. Maybe some of you watched that final table a bit...any critiques appreciated. I just woke up this morning and it's a bittersweet feeling - the $650 is great, but I really had a 1 in 3 shot at the WSOP.

Thanks for reading, if you still are, and thanks to everyone who shares their thoughts on these posts. I know others have had "drown their sorrows" moments like this too.

Tyler Durden
04-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Raise preflop.

Once you complete and he raises, you can fold and wait for a better spot. You're in bad shape to any ace and to any pocket pair.

nolanfan34
04-26-2004, 02:51 PM
I know you're right. Looking back, I really bungled some hands at the end, but I've never been in such a high-stakes scenario like that, I just kind of froze up at the end. /images/graemlins/blush.gif