PDA

View Full Version : Question about HU SNGs

Tom Bayes
04-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Recently I decided to concentrate on mastering the Party SNG. I had been avoiding it because I don't like the shallow stacks and blind structure, but finally decided that they are just too good of an opportunity to build a roll to pass up. (I enjoy tourney play more than ring play and feel I am better in tourneys than in a cash game).

Yesterday I made a post with the results of my first (since I've been keeping good records) 100 $10 NLHE SNGs on Party. I am happy with my in the money % (47 of 100), but I am finishing 2nd far too often (11 1st, 21 2nd, 15 3rd). My post got buried, so I'll re-ask my main question.

Obviously I need to finish in 1st more often to boost my ROI-it is currently at 34.5% and I would like to get it above 40%. I need to improve my heads-up play. Party doesn't have HU SNGs but I know that Stars and UB do. Would playing these HU SNGs be beneficial? The way I am thinking, you will start with the same stack and small blind, while in a Party SNG the blinds will be pretty hefty by the time you reach HU and often I am short-stacked. So I'm a bit skeptical that the HU SNGs would properly mimic the end-play of a Party SNG. Also, do people take play money HU seriously enough for this to be worthwhile or do you need to play for real $ to avoid silly play and developing bad habits? Another option could be playing HU for ultimate points on UB (I have several thousand).

Any other tips from those who are much better than me in scoring more 1sts in relation to 2nds and 3rds would be appreciated.

La Brujita
04-26-2004, 12:00 PM
In my opinion heads up sit and gos are an absolutely crucial way to improve your heads up game. True the blinds size would be different but heads up poker is its own animal and it is key to get experience playing.

The other thing you could do is play limit heads up ring games. You can lose a lot of money doing this so be cautious if you choose this option.

As long as you are being aggressive enough, you are probably not playing that far off from correct strategy in the Party tourneys.

Regards

William
04-26-2004, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't play "play money" at all. That's something my kids do to learn poker and I mean trips being stronger than 2 pairs and that kind of stuff.

There are cheap HU, 5/10$ and it's a kind of game you just can't learn without putting the hours. You can spend the next 2 years accumulating HU experience the times you reach the last two in tournaments or you can play 3/4 HU matches a day for the next month.

William

DrPhysic
04-26-2004, 12:49 PM
In February, I asked the same question. How do you get to play a decent short table game the few times that you get on a final table? or even HU in a 9 player SNG? It was suggested that I start playing the HU SNGs. I have played at least one HU game a day, usually 2 or 3 for the past three months starting at $5.50, moving up to $10.50, then 4 player match HU $10.50, same at $21.

I do not consider that I am an expert short table player, but I guarantee I'm a whole lot better than I was in February. Even playing HU against William, Hyde, etc who are known to be excellent players does not intimidate, and I think I can at least hold my own. I could have played regular tournaments and SNGs and not gotten the same experience in two years.

Besides it's +ev. If you play an $11 SNG 9 player, spend an hour or an hour and a quarter, and beat 8 people you win $45. If I play a $10.50 HU 4 player match game, I spend 20 or 30 minutes, beat only 2 guys, and win $40. Of course, second place is a little bleak, but you're still ahead.

Try it, it helps and it's fun.

Doc

Tom Bayes
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks to all who replied. The general consensus is that I will need to play some real money HU SNGs to improve my game-I suspected as much. I asked about the play money ones because I recall reading someone claim that play money SNGs were just as useful for learning HU strategy because people are playing for ego (want to win). I played a regular play money SNG once (and only once) and figured that this was going to be useless when I saw 6 people go all-in pre-flop on the first hand. No, we didn't have AA,KK,QQ,JJ,AK,AK /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess I'll devote a little time to playing some $5 HU SNGs on either Stars or UB-hopefully I won't blow too much money /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrPhysic
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Tom,
I was probably the world's worst HU player. I started out 0 for 5. 1 for 6 was nice. Broke even at about 15/15. Most recent count 37/26 about a month ago. Haven't looked at stats recently but HU is a fairly easy way to buck up the account.

GL

Doc