PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Aces vs a Mullet

MaxPower
04-26-2004, 11:07 AM
This hand happened in a 10/20 game at the Ameristar in St. Charles, MO. There were 3 or 4 decent players in the game and 3 or 4 loose-aggressives.

The guy sporting the Mullet was UTG. Its hard to respect the play of a guy with a Mullet. He was loose aggressive. He didn't need much of a hand to bet post-flop.

Mullet limps in, LAG#2 limps in EP, tight-predictable old guy limps in LP, old lady (tight but slightly tilting) in the CO limps, I raise on the button with AA, BB calls, Mullet calls, everyone else calls.

Flop: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Checked to me, I bet, eveyone calls.

Turn: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, now Mullet bets out, EP folds, old guy calls, old lady calls

What's my play?

Barry
04-26-2004, 11:28 AM
Bets out of the blue on the turn like that are highly suspicious, especially coming from a LAG, and against most folks that do that, I would raise.

Who knows but maybe he's got a pair, maybe an overpair even and doesn't want the turn to get checked around if you have overcards. If it gets 3-bet, maybe you can give him credit for being ahead.

M2d
04-26-2004, 11:35 AM
While you may have mullet beat, he may still have you with a funky two pair, a set or the straight.
The real sucky part here, though, is that you have two callers between you and mullet. And one of them is TOM.
pitch the aces and curse your luck.

Philuva
04-26-2004, 11:47 AM
Easy raise. This could easily be a flush draw, pair with a straight draw, etc. If he 3-bets, I would call down depending on how aggro he is, or fold if really loose passive.

Joe Tall
04-26-2004, 12:04 PM
He has a mullet, raise.

Peace,
Joe Tall

SossMan
04-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Raise, and buy him a Budweiser with the pot that you win.

Roy Hobbs
04-26-2004, 12:48 PM
I think raising is a terrible play here. First, if he is blowing off chips with nothing, let him continue to do so. Second, he knows that you don't have a four, and so he can three bet with impunity. Third, it's very possible that he has you beat. Call and call his river bet and bet if checked to on the river.

RH

DcifrThs
04-26-2004, 12:56 PM
maxpower, his name can be said, by anyonnnnnnnne.

oooo, i thought i knew all the big players in springfield, where have you been hiding?

hiding from the turn bet i believe. well no need to fear max, simply pick up the environmentally sound chips in front of you and place just enough to calmly call the turn and river in your hand and then proceed to place them on the board. no need to run around trees like a homer chased by a wiggum and a lou. but also, you certainly shouldn't scare anybody here or get yourself into trouble by knocking over a whole forest with a raise, since you DO want to see a showdown, much like the one between Mr. Power and his now admiring group of followers. just be happy to sleep at night and buy your significant other, aka hooty mcboob, a nice treat with the pot you won by calling down
-Barron

sthief09
04-26-2004, 01:28 PM
If there weren't 2 callers in between, it might be a different story, but there are. You have them all beat likely, so you're getting 3-1 on your raise. The mullet played this like he picked up a flush draw with his pair. If he 3-bets, then you might have a problem.

Nightwish
04-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Do you have the Ah? If you do, it's less likely that mullet is betting with a flush draw, but I would still probably call down. I wouldn't raise because calling a 3-bet would really suck.

DcifrThs
04-26-2004, 01:53 PM
you say "You have them all beat likely"

but then say "If he 3-bets, then you might have a problem."

avoid the problem and call down.
-Barron

MaxPower
04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
I raised the turn. The BB folded, the Mullet and the 2 senior citizens called.

I don't remember the exact river card. It was checked to me, I checked and my hand was good. I probably missed a value bet here.

On the turn, I was sure that I was ahead of the two senior citizens. They were not the types to get tricky - either one would have raised the turn if they could beat 1 pair and they wouldn't freeze up just because of the possible straight.

The Mullet could have anything - I wasn't even attempting to put him on a hand. Folding was out of the question. So it is call or raise.

I think raising is better because the extra bets that I pick up from the senior citizens more than outweigh the few times that I get 3-bet and call down (I will win some of these as well)

Joe Tall
04-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I don't remember the exact river card. It was checked to me, I checkedb

If your going to check the river, why raise the turn?

Peace,
Joe Tall

sthief09
04-26-2004, 05:21 PM
sorry, I meant the callers in between.

I read a lot of your posts and respect your opinions, but avoiding a problem with 2 people you know you're likely ahead of and one guy you might be ahead of doesn't seem all that necessary.

CrackerZack
04-26-2004, 05:25 PM
Good question, especially since its not like you're hand is really gonna improve and you're gonna be able to make a bet. I'm with Joe here. why?

MaxPower
04-26-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure which part of my play you are questioning, the turn raise or the river check.

But the reason I didn't bet the river is that I wussed out.

Joe Tall
04-26-2004, 05:42 PM
But the reason I didn't bet the river is that I wussed out.

And you raised the turn because...

Either your hand is good and you stick to your plan or get another plan.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Your Mom
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
You said, "Its hard to respect the play of a guy with a Mullet."

I say, Its hard to respect a guy with a Mullet.