PDA

View Full Version : Reading a weak player

prairieboy
04-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Since I play 99% online, I'm (predictably) terrible at reading other players, but this guy is an exception.

He's new to poker, is trying very hard to play well, but has some fundamental misunderstandings about the game. He knows the words "outs" and "pot odds" but doesn't understand them.

When he looks sad, he missed his hand. When he looks confident and happy, he hit his hand. When he plays slowly and seems to be thinking very hard, it's because he's trying to figure out if he has the "pot odds" to chase the "outs" on his drawing hands.

Here are the results of 3 hands I played against him:

Hand 1:

I limp on the button with 77 behind several limpers.
Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
BB bets, others call, my subject ponders and calls, I call
Turn is 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked to my subject, he ponders and checks, I bet. Folded to my subject, he looks sad and ponders and calls.
River is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
My subject looks very sad and checks.
I bet, he calls and turns over A /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and says "you've got me, I've only got the aces" He is very surprised and happy to be told that, no he's got the straight. d'oh!

Hand 2:
I open raise from late position with 99. My subject is the BB and is the only caller.
Flop is K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
He looks sad and checks, I bet, he ponders and calls.
Turn is the 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
He looks sad, ponders and checks. I bet, he ponders and calls.
River 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
He looks very sad and checks. I bet, he calls and turns over A /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hand 3:

I open raise with A /images/graemlins/club.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif, three callers including my subject.
Flop is K /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
My subject's face lights up like a christmas tree.

Here's the problem, I know that he thinks he hit his hand, but he thinks top pair no-kicker is a pretty fantastic hand. Do I play TPTK here, or wait for a better opportunity?