PDA

View Full Version : K9o in SB

Freudian
04-26-2004, 02:53 AM
PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 20 BB, between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (20 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 9h Kd (full house, kings full of nines).
CO shows Js Tc (straight, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 20 BB. </font>

Questions:
1. Is it correct to back off on the turn when the Q comes.
2. Is the check-raise on the river a poor play given that the second K came?

illunious
04-26-2004, 03:15 AM
I fold preflop, and normally bet the flop. Once in a while, with a lot of people in, I'll try to checkraise, the flop checkraise worked out perfectly for you.

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is it correct to back off on the turn when the Q comes.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif is not a threat.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Is the check-raise on the river a poor play given that the second K came?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you have an almost-nut hand, CO loves his hand, I like the river check-raise and cap.

SoCalPat
04-26-2004, 03:17 AM
First off, I muck this hand PF. Playing unsuited 3-gappers out of position just isn't a good play.

As for your questions, unless you could specifically put your opponent on JT, it's not likely your opponent improved enough to beat you on the turn. I wouldn't have faulted you for putting in a third bet, but if he caps and you don't improve on the river, you have to check/call the river.

But you did improve. Normally, I don't advocate the C/R with overwhelmingly strong hands on the river ... I'd rather bet out and let my opponent give me the chance to make it 3 when he raises me. That said, I think it worked out perfectly for you in this instance for two reasons: You gave the button a chance to make a crying call for one bet (you didn't collect it, but had you bet out and the CO raised, it's highly unlikely the button would make a crying call when it's two cold to him) and your opponent overplayed his hand vs. a paired board, giving you the chance to cap.

Freudian
04-26-2004, 03:31 AM
When people started limping I said to myself "If the last two limp in ill complete my bet". I hardly ever do it with K9o, so I don't know why I did it now. I was pretty certain that BB wouldn't raise though, and if he did it he would have AA or KK.

The Q could be a threat if he has KQ and is passive?

I am a bit worried about overdoing c/r, since it will give observant players free cards in the long run.

illunious
04-26-2004, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Q could be a threat if he has KQ and is passive?

[/ QUOTE ]

The chances he has the nut are very slim. If you normally respect tiny signs of aggression like this, you are missing out on good opportunities to raise. It is a very uncoordinated board, which makes me think the turn raise is a lesser two pair.

[ QUOTE ]

I am a bit worried about overdoing c/r, since it will give observant players free cards in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

My normal reaction is to bet the flop. Picking good CR situations is tough. With different preflop action (like a raise on the button) it may be better to checkraise.

HUSKER'66
04-26-2004, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, I muck this hand PF. Playing unsuited 3-gappers out of position just isn't a good play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. Your getting 9/1 on your complete.....more than enough odds to see a flop. If the flop hits you hard (it did /images/graemlins/grin.gif) then you can make a play...if not, easy muck.

Flop: (6 SB) 6, 9, K (6 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button bets, Hero raises, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

I like the play here..nice checkraise.

Turn: (6 BB) Q (3 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Button calls, Hero calls.

I don't feel you need to fear a K/Q. The cutoff's raise screams smaller two pair or made straight. Obviously you didn't think he made the straight.Maybe a better play here would be a check/call.(maybe a little weak tight but saves you money when you don't hit one of your four outs and do find yourself up against a made hand)

River: (12 BB) K (3 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Button folds, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, Hero caps, CO calls.

I like it, good play.

Play well.

Husker