PDA

View Full Version : An Idea to Save Democracy!

Zeno
04-26-2004, 02:25 AM
As long as I am counting the votes, what are going to do about it?
-William M. Tweed, circa 1872

Voting for the right is doing nothing for it.
-H. D. Thoreau: An Essay on Civil Disobedience, 1849

Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
-Franklin P. Adams: Nods and Becks, 1944

It’s not the voting that’s Democracy, it’s the counting
-Tom Stoppard: Jumpers, 1972

Under democracy one party always devotes its energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule – and both commonly succeed and are right.
-H. L. Mencken: Minority Report, 1956

If Voting changed anything, they’d abolish it.
-Ken Livingstone (British Labor Politician): Title of Book, 1987

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have a modest proposal to help the ‘poor’, stimulate the vote, shore up the economy and make our Democracy stronger. ‘The Poor’ should be able to sell their votes to the highest bidder. Stipulation being that each poor person can only sell the one vote each is legally entitled to and that all other individuals can only purchase one vote each. Thus, each individual can legally have either one of three options:

1. No vote – you sold it
2. One vote- you retained your vote
3. Two votes – you retained your vote and bought one vote from a poor individual.

The problem is defining poor but a good starting point would be the federal poverty level. Only those at or less than the poverty level can sell their votes, but anyone, regardless of income, can buy a vote. The income you ‘earn’ from selling your vote does not count toward your total income nor is it taxed. In addition, the money you use buying a vote, if you chose to do so, is tax deductible.

Some modification may be needed but to me this is an excellent idea. It is, in essence:

WHAT DEMOCARCY IS ALL ABOUT.

Le Misanthrope

sam h
04-26-2004, 03:03 AM
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

Zeno
04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I remember, when I was a child, being taken to the celebrated Barnum's circus, which contained an exhibition of freaks and monstrosities, but the exhibit on the programme which I most desired to see was the one described as 'The Boneless Wonder'. My parents judged that the spectacle would be too revolting and demoralizing for my youthful eyes, and I have wanted 50 years to see the boneless wonder sitting on the Treasury Bench

-Winston Churchill of Ramsey MacDonald; Speech in the House of Commons, 1931