PDA

View Full Version : Please help my game.

tlop
04-25-2004, 10:33 PM
First, I appreciate all you regulars. I feel like I have learned a lot, although I'm sure my stats show I need to learn a lot more.

Ok, the problem I recognize:
I don't play enough hands. I have played more recently, but still not sure how you guys can play 16-20% voluntary preflop. I raise with all the normals, including usually AJ0 and KQo. I don't play pocket pairs under 7s if I dont expect a sufficient number of callers. I do tend to throw AQo away to an early position raise. Anyway, those are just some general guidelines.

I think I play pretty well postflop, but who knows.

Below are my stats:

Over 22,731 hands (all at 3/6), I am seeing 10.2% of flops voluntarily, 15.59% of all.
I am raising 6.2%.
I win 1.59/100 hands
Aggression: 2.18

I would love some good constructive criticism.

Thanks,

Tlop

Bob T.
04-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Depending on the game, you might be able to play more suited aces, suited connectors, and pocket pairs.

I might also recommend that you go to Daniel Negreanu's website, full contact poker, and read the 'party day' and 'nutbar' articles. You might want to step down a level or two, and try some of those ideas, just so you can get used to playing some more hands. When you tighten back up to your usual standards, and then find yourself playing a suited connector, or something like that, your experience from party day, might help you play those unmade hands more accurately.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

James Boston
04-25-2004, 11:50 PM
I don't play online, and therefore don't use PokerTraker. So, I can't analyze the stats it provides.

With that said, it looks like you might be playing too tight. Here would be some examples.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play pocket pairs under 7s if I dont expect a sufficient number of callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could modify this. Small pocket pairs have great implied odds if you make a set. In some cases, this can make up for the lack of callers, since the ones you get won't put you on a set and will most likely pay you off.

[ QUOTE ]
I do tend to throw AQo away to an early position raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

In low limit games, EP raises mean less tham they do in higher limits. You could be up against something like KJo. Cold-calling, I think, isn't too bad of a play here.

Hope this helps.

LetsRock
04-26-2004, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am seeing 10.2% of flops voluntarily, 15.59% of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man - I thought I was tight. With a 2 blind structure, you it's not hard to see around 25%-35% of all your hands and still be playing pretty tight. 20% of your hands are blinds. Unless you're playing at a very aggressive table where they are constantly raising to steal, you may need to see a few more hands from SB and defend your BB a little more.

I'm not usually one to advocate loosening up, but you may want to consider it.

Against a table with loose raising standards, Hands like AQo are very playable. (I saw someone raise from UTG with Q6s last night!)

In my efforts to play a few mopre hands/hr, I look to loosen up my LP standards a bit. I don't think you can be too tight from EP, but there's usually a little more flexibility in LP to "have a little fun".

deacsoft
04-26-2004, 12:18 PM
I like the idea of adding some smaller pocket pairs, suited aces, and suited connectors (7-6s or better). Each of these hands has a time and a place to be played. I suggest reading up on when and how to play them and then adding them to your playable hands. This will help a lot but could also be devistating if you are not sure how and when to play them correctly. Good luck at the tables.

Kluddeludde
04-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Wow, I really admire your patience. That IS tight. You may want to consider playing more sutied connectors, suited aces or small pairs in late position, especially if there hasn't been a raise. Other than that, I don't know how you could loosen up (can't believe I just said that), given the information you posted.

Kludde

tolbiny
04-26-2004, 12:39 PM
"In low limit games, EP raises mean less tham they do in higher limits. You could be up against something like KJo. Cold-calling, I think, isn't too bad of a play here."

I would disagree with coldcalling with AQo. If you want to add this then do so against players you have notes on, ones that let you know his preflop raising range. Dont just assume that they are raising with marginal hands. Then if you are going to play it, three bet it, take controll of the hand. Dont get suckered into the idea of "i might have a better hand than him, i'll call". I dont think that you want to loosen up at the cost of aggression.
One more thing, make sure you are adjusting properly to the table, when i started playing i was only paying attention to the preflop numbers of people, how many people chase after the flop and how manytimes does the flop get checked around. Drawing hands are worth more if the flop continually gets checked around, or has one bet at the most.

arkady
04-26-2004, 12:40 PM
This is really not the way to play 3/6. On average and this means that you are not sitting in a rock garden, throwing away AQo in 3/6 is a travesty. Overall you are just too tight, like the rest of the people said play more hands that like multi-way action. If you feel there are never enough callers, perhaps your game selection could use some work. Still you seem to know what you are doing as you seem to be winning - but loosen up, try to get your flop seeing into the 20-25% range.

bigsooner
04-26-2004, 01:20 PM
you and i have the exact opposite prob my VOLpu$in pot is 27% and I would like to get it down to 20-22% but i cant seen to make my self do it