PDA

View Full Version : Help out a newbie.

Joe Tall
04-25-2004, 08:29 PM
I haven't played muti in a bit and I'm getting back into it again. I took a heart breaking loss in a live multi last month and sticking to limit since.

10% of the field left in a cheap P-Stars Multi this hand came up:

Comments on all streets welcome, thank you in advance.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t1217)
MP1 (t6390)
MP2 (t3991)
MP3 (t9522)
CO (t6020)
Joe Tall (t7028)
SB (t7065)
BB (t1199)
UTG (t9255)

Preflop: Joe Tall is Button with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t200, UTG+1 calls t200, MP1 calls t200, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Joe Tall calls t200, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1300) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t200</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Joe Tall raises to t1000</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t4000</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Joe Tall folds.

Final Pot: t6500
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: t3500 (t3500), won by SB.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: t3000 (t3000), overbet by SB.</font>

Standard?

Peace,
Joe Tall

Ian J
04-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Well played. A raise before the flop may have been a better way to play the hand. It would certainly make low flops a bit easier to play because the BB and SB could have anything. Other than that, standard.

Joe Tall
04-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I thought about raising before the flop. However, I didn't want one of the Big Stacks pushing in quickly as this pot was building up.

Thanks for the reply,
Joe Tall

DougBrennan
04-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Hi JoeT,

If you limp with a pocket pair, particularly with that many callers, you're pretty much limiting yourself to continuing only if you flop the set. Granted you got an overpair, but with that pair of sixes...pretty tough to continue. I think your fold was good, but the t1000 bet was not, unless you were prepared to call a raise.

I'd have bet the t1000 pre-flop, narrow the field hopefully, or even take it down right there. If you can get it heads-up, your post-flop chances are greatly increased, plus you are the aggressor, with all the advantages that gives you.

I'm not saying the limp-in was a bad play, but if you don't hit, don't invest.

Doug

PS A question for you. And it's not rhetorical, I'm curious, because I play nothing but NL multis. How would you play this in the same situation if it were limit?

Joe Tall
04-25-2004, 09:18 PM
I think your fold was good, but the t1000 bet was not, unless you were prepared to call a raise

Do you think I should the flop to that weak bet?

And it's not rhetorical, I'm curious, because I play nothing but NL multis. How would you play this in the same situation if it were limit?

Well, it's tough to tell as I'd need some better reads on my opponents, and detailed actions.

The check raise here will often mean a flush draw from many players as most weak players will wait for the turn to c/r trips.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Tosh
04-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Joe the limp preflop is definitely correct IMO. Sometimes I might raise here with 39o or the like but not a hand like 99. You're not totally in flop a set or get out mode but you certainly have great implied odds with this much multiway action.

The flop looks decent for you and you make a decent sized raise but run into huge resistance. I agree you have to give him credit for a hand, if he doesn't have a 6 he may well have something like JT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, which is essentially a coin flip. With only 7's and 8's as possible overpairs lower than yours I think you have a fold here. Its just hard to see him flipping over 2 cards you're in good shape against.

Ian J
04-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Agreed. It's certainly not a clear raise before the flop. The only reason for it is to knock the blinds out in the case of that exact flop.

DOTTT
04-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi Joe,
This was a good fold. utg was probably on a flush draw and trying to see a cheap card, the check raise from the sb clearly screams trips to me.

Now for the limp pre flop, I think I would lean towards a bet in your situation. If I'm reading the hand history correctly you were on the button and got 3 limpers, I would make a bet of 800 and try to take the pot right there. Unless you're playing against complete maniacs you’re going to limit the field to one or two players, and more likely just take down the pot right there.

SDA004
04-26-2004, 11:22 AM
I think you gotta raise preflop here. I mean you had so many flops that, if they fell, you would have to release your hand. If A, K, Q, or J falls, and you get that same raise you have to release the hand. If something pairs on the board you have to release your hand. The only time you're in good shape is if you flop the set, and the odds on that aren't good. If you make a good sized raise preflop, you narrow the field and can actually have an idea of what your opponents have. If you raise pre flop and that same flop comes, your golden with your 9's and 6's.

I dont see the utility in limping in with any midpair. I think most of the time you have to get in for as cheap as possible with low pairs, play your midpairs strong to try to get the pot right there or limit your field to overcards, and you have a lot of options with your Q's-A's.

Does anyone think this line of reasoning is flawed?