PDA

View Full Version : Played 100 $10+1 Party SNGs (kind of long)

Tom Bayes
04-25-2004, 07:45 PM
I've now played 100 of the $10 NLHE sit-and-gos at Party. Here are my results. As I've posted before, I started carefully tracking my performance after reading AleoMagus's strategy guide, and have used much of his strategy (particularly levels 1-3). I think my play has improved just by keeping track of my performance; I find it easier to deal with cold streaks because you know they happen and a hot streak will come by soon.

Well, my results are OK but still some holes to deal with before I can really claim to be a $10 SNG stud or even think about moving up.

In the Money (ITM): 47% (47 of 100)
ROI: 34.55%
Average per SNG: $3.80
1st: 11
2nd: 21 (!)
3rd: 15
4th: 9
5th: 12
6-10th: 32

As you can see, I have far too many 2nd places in my money finishes. I think there are 2 reasons for this. First, I often reach short-handed play (down to 4-5 players) with a fairly short stack while someone has a huge stack and often have to play well just to cash. I am happy with my in the money percentage, but know I need more first to improve ROI and my Party account balance. Second, I'm not a great heads-up player-I seem to often goof up when I have a chip lead and usually only win if my opponent is tentative.

What advice do the SNG studs have? Should I sacrifice a little of the ITM % to try to get a bigger stack and win more? Should I play some HU SNGs (I have never played one) for practice? Are play money HU SNGs worth the time or do I need to play for $$$?

By the way, after 89 tourneys I was over 50% in ITM and at 48% ROI, then I went into a slump. In SNG #90, I forgot Aleo's advice and played AQ in level 1 like it was AK. Well, someone had AK so I racked up a 10th place finish. This started a streak of 9 no-money finishes in a row, my worst to date. Everything bad started happening. AA cracked in level 1 and stack gone. Unplayable cards for entire SNGs. Set cracked by gutshot filled on river. People calling and sucking out with shocking hands (vent over). I finally snagged a 2nd in SNG #99.

I've certainly been streaky. In tourneys #51-75 I had 6 firsts and 15 money finishes and a ROI of 96%. The ROI was only 12% for my last 25 tourneys, with only 1 win in 11 money finishes.

Maybe after 200 I'll be over 40% ROI.