PDA

View Full Version : When To Check-Raise?

WLC4Ever
04-25-2004, 07:09 PM
Hand below had a good outcome but I'm wondering if I misplayed it. UTG is Loose Aggresive and neither player will ever fold if they hit the flop at all. My question is knowing all that, should I have waited until the turn for the check-raise or is my hand too weak?

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 6s Ac (two pair, aces and sixes).
UTG shows As 8c (one pair, aces).
MP2 shows 8d Ad (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB. </font>

sublime
04-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Two pair is very vulnerable, however with that many players to act behind you I think it is a good move.

Nak
04-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Personally, I like the way you played it. With just two pair, you want to make them pay for sticking around maybe getting bigger two pair on the turn.

Just curious, what day/time was this hand played? I play the UB .25/.50, and I am very interested in how the game changes over time.

Nak

SoCalPat
04-26-2004, 01:46 AM
Bet the flop. Go for the C/R when the blank hits the turn.

You bet the flop to thin the field (your hand is very good, but not unbeatable) and to see just how many people are willing to play. You root for a blank on the turn and see if you can get one of the other players to believe their hand is good and bet out.

Although the turn puts a flush and gutshot straight draw out there, I'm going to believe that the people that have called my flop bet had legit reasons for doing so, and weren't praying for runner-runner to hit.

There's nothing wrong with simply betting out. But this, IMO, is how you make back the money you lost when your KK was snapped by 46o.

Nak
04-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Oh, that day/time, no wonder.

Nak

bmedwar
04-26-2004, 04:53 PM
I think it is very important to bet the flop to avoid giving a free card. I'd probably bet the turn too; again scared to give a free card.

BaronVonCP
04-26-2004, 04:58 PM
Fine play. However in aggressive games, I'd bet out and hope to get raised so I can 3bet.

Nak
04-26-2004, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is very important to bet the flop to avoid giving a free card. I'd probably bet the turn too; again scared to give a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, exactly which draws are you afraid of?

Nak

bmedwar
04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um, exactly which draws are you afraid of?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe "free card" isn't the correct term. I'd be afraid that it would check around, in a situation where if I had bet I would have had callers that were making a mistake.

Sarge85
04-26-2004, 05:53 PM
If your read is that UTG is aggressive, I'd just bet the flop - if he is real aggressive he'll raise for you, - Any ace will call still. - Then you can set your CR on the turn, based on how "scary" the turn card is.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Nak
04-26-2004, 10:50 PM
I am amazed at how many people did not like your check-raise. This is such a table-dependant play. You need to get money in the pot, and you did. I guess the thinking might be that you could get more in the pot by C/R-ing the turn. If you think that'll work, then great!

Nak

sfer
04-27-2004, 01:25 AM
The problem with checkraising the flop is that the Hero has virtually no idea where a bet comes from. What if the bet was from the button--does he still checkraise the field and thin out the hopelessly weak draws?