PDA

View Full Version : From the Sunday paper

Warren Whitmore
04-25-2004, 03:56 PM
"When Philip fisher died last month at the age of 96,it suddenly struck me that being a wise and patient stock-market guru may be the best route to a long life. After all Philip Carret died in 1998 at 101, John Templeton is still going strong at 91, and Roy Neuberger celebrated his 100th birthday last July. What they all have had in common is a belief in long-term investing and the equanimity to follow that strategy."
That makes the 4t time in as many weeks that I have heard about a precieved notion that longevity is somehow correlated with the lenth of time one holds securities on average. I couldent think of how it could be possible but now I am starting to wonder. Could it be that someone who is predisposed to thinking futher into the future than the average person would take better care of thier health? What do you think?

scalf
04-25-2004, 04:35 PM
/images/graemlins/blush.gif hey; if your goal is steady, long-term positive results; then ya gotta be alive to make the strategy work; and enjoy the results...

it makes sense to me that someone with long term plans would tend to include long term healthy life style as a general part of their strategy..

gl /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BadBoyBenny
04-25-2004, 04:40 PM
A quick hypothesis...

Most successful long term investors have a much higher level of patience, restraint, and rational control over their emotions than the average investor or person. They also know the importance of risk management, and are better at managing risks and unknowns.

Possibly these qualities lead to a life of less stress, better long term decisions in all aspects, and more overall contentment. All of which I believe are essential to living a long life.

CEO
04-27-2004, 12:57 AM
As a long term investor including a long term investment in Berkshire Hathaway not only do I applaud your observation, but also hope it applies to Warren Buffett as well.

I have also found a reason for a long life. Compound Interest!