PDA

View Full Version : Making a stand / bad play based on a read

Pitcher
04-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to post this hand as an example of losing discipline. This was from a PP $50 SNG. The background to the hand is that the player I made my stand against was playing back at me everytime, and I folded two solid hands. He had not shown much (two lucky hits) in earlier showdowns. Nevertheless, I made a very questionable call with 2 overcards and a J high flush draw.

5 players left

The stacks are fairly close. The leader (button) has T2685, SB has 1955, BB has 925, UTG has 2110, and UTG+1 (hero) has 2250.

The blinds were 25/50.

UTG folds, and I min raise to T100 with Qs Jh. Button (very loose chip leader, calls nearly every hand) calls, SB calls, and the BB folds.
The flop comes 5h, 7h, 9h. This leaves me with 2 overcards and a Jack high flush draw. SB checks, and I bet out T175. The button folds and the SB re-raises to T500. I pretty much expected this because he re-raised my other hands. I thought for a moment looking at my weak holding and said to myself "Okay, this guy has been running me over and he hasn't shown anything, let's put him to the test" and I re-raise all in. I am expecting a fold, but he calls...He turns over Ah 5s for bottom pair with a nut flush draw....ugggg. Fortunately for me, a J comes on the turn and he doesn't improve. To say the least, I was quite lucky.

Comments....

Certainly, it looks like a breakdown of discipline in retrospect. The blinds were low and I had plenty of chips, and I thought I was the best player on the table.

Pitcher