PDA

View Full Version : Home game fun...

chesspain
04-25-2004, 10:12 AM
Last night I played in a home game where the limits were 1/2, the games were mostly Holdem, Omaha8, and Stud8, and the majority of opponents were terrible! In the last forty-five minutes of what became a +70BB night for me, I was in the following hand against the second most competent player, who tends to LAG (BB in following hand) and push second-best hands two far, although he knows me well enough to respect my play.

The Game: Crazy Pineapple, which is just like holdem except that everyone is dealt three cards, and you discard one card after the flop is presented before the betting begins. The following action is to the best of my recollection:

I'm LP in a six-handed game, and I'm dealt T /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG calls, MP call, I call, Button calls, SB folds, BB raises, we all call...five to the flop (10.5SB)

4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I toss away the Q...BB bets, UTG calls, MP calls, I call, Button calls...four to the turn (7BB)..note: I didn't want to raise against all of these calling stations in a game where we all got three cards to start, at least until I saw the turn. Of course, I didn't feel like folding either. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, UTG folds, MP folds, I raise, Button folds, BB calls...heads up (11BB).

[4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, I raise, he reraises, I cap, he calls and says "That's the cap." [uh...OK] Before he can even see my cards, he sees "Ship it," and tables the quad sevens.

He left after this hand as per his previously stated intentions. Even with this hellacious beat (fortunately tempered by his belief that there was still a cap when heads up), it was a great night!

Nottom
04-25-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Game: Crazy Pineapple, which is just like holdem except that everyone is dealt three cards, and you discard one card after the flop is presented before the betting begins. The following action is to the best of my recollection:

[/ QUOTE ]

We always played that you discard after the flop betting.

afk
04-25-2004, 03:33 PM
I've also always played crazy pineapple the way nottom mentioned, discard after the flop betting.

edit: To add a little more under the 'home game fun' topic - we also have occasionally played a version of 5 card draw that I made up on a whim where there really is no draw, you have to pass two cards to the person to your left, and receive two from the person on your right. It's a lot of fun to throw in games like that to mix things up.

Ralph Wiggum
04-25-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To add a little more under the 'home game fun' topic - we also have occasionally played a version of 5 card draw that I made up on a whim where there really is no draw, you have to pass two cards to the person to your left, and receive two from the person on your right.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like a form of anaconda. 7-card stud game. Deal 7 cards face down. Round of betting. Pass 3 cards to the left. Round of betting. Pass 2 cards to the left. Round of betting. Pass 1 card to the left. Last round of betting. Showdown.

There's a lot of derivations of this game. In college, we used to play it w/ 5 cards. Deal 5, betting round. Pass 2 left, betting round. Pass 1 right, betting round. Showdown.

afk
04-25-2004, 06:01 PM
That anaconda sounds like a lot of fun. In any case, it's fun to mix it up on occasion.