PDA

View Full Version : Too passive?

bernie
04-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Mucks 10-20

Table has tightened up. When im raising there is a rush to muck. BB in this hand just got beat on the river and i detect a little tilt in him. I havent played with him much, so my read isnt totally confirmed. He's been on the table for maybe an orbit or 2 and hasnt seen me play many hands. So im not sure how he sees me. He seems relatively str8 forward so far.

Since im not getting much action, i may as well try a steal. So, from LMP i openraise with JTo. Promptly folded to the BB who 3 bets. uh oh. I havent seen him 3 bet that i remember.

Flop 4 4 T r

BB bets, i raise, he 3 bets. I notice a titch of forcefulness on his raise. Basically, i get the feeling he 'wants' me to fold. i call.

Turn J

BB bets, a little harder motion, i call.

River 6

He bets, i call.

Rezults:
<font color="white"> BB turns over A8o. I drag it.</font>

b

Dynasty
05-03-2004, 01:27 PM
In these situations, I love to call, call, call and watch the air deflate out of them when they get shown a better hand. It would be beter if you could have shown down 33 or AQ but you can't have everything.

When opponents are playing over-aggressive, the best way to give them the rope is to let them keep betting their inferior hand.

DiamondDave
05-03-2004, 03:34 PM
The open-raise from was pretty marginal from LMP. I guess it's reasonable if you thought you'd have a good chance of stealing the blinds or going heads-up against a tilting big blind, but I'd rather have bigger cards and later position.

Your postflop play was good.

Dynasty
05-03-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I'd rather have bigger cards and later position.

[/ QUOTE ]

But, bernie wasn't dealt bigger cards. He was dealt JTo. He also can't change the position he started the hand in. So, he's just got to play the situation as is.

cero_z
05-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi bernie,
You played the hand well, but I think I would raise on the river virtually every time in this spot (I did read the results). The only hand that beats you is an overpair, which is unlikely based on your good read. Your opponent can easily have 99-66 (which he'll pay off with) or a T with a good kicker (not as likely if your read is right). I also would raise the turn frequently, as this player's most likely holding (if you discount the possible tilt) is 2 overcards, which also would give him a gutshot. And if he is on tilt, he may call you with just an Ace there, but not on the river.
But, Dynasty's reccomended approach (which was your action) is also a great way to play it in the macro sense, if you're dealing with an over-aggressive player (be it due to tilt or whatever). Let them keep trying to run you over.