PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a suckout artist...Part III How badly did I butcher?

Garland
04-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Hi all,

Another suckout for moi. I guess I'm just "running good". Thing is, if my opponent had a bigger stack, I probably wouldn't attempt to go over the top again, so here goes. They say "don't lose your stack on an unraised pot". That's what I get for being in slowplay mode with JJ.

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($33.25)
Button ($21.25)
SB ($23.60)
BB ($54)
UTG ($48.75)
Hero ($44.25)
MP1 ($52.80)
MP2 ($24)
MP3 ($95.40)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(6 players) </font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $5</font>, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $12.5</font>, MP2 calls $7.50.

Turn: ($28) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, MP2 calls $11 (All-In).

River: ($50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in) </font>

Final Pot: $50
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $50, between Hero and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero ($50).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Jh (straight, jack high).
MP2 shows 5h 6s (straight, ten high).
Outcome: Hero wins $50. </font>

jdl22
04-25-2004, 04:40 AM
I think you played it fine. I would raise preflop but I know a lot of people don't with jacks. Otherwise it is pretty standard.

SacraVia
04-25-2004, 01:29 PM
I would have raised pre-flop as well. Fold to a significant re-raise. Makes decisions such as the one you had on the flop much easier to make. "Slowplaying" JJ is not a good idea - the hand is just not that strong and when you min bet it you are on a majority of the flops you are going to get play it for the set.

Though I can understand how you played it, and for the most point it seems correct as well. There are a couple questions that have to be asked. How was the player, is he type to min-raise with a flush draw for the extra card? What did you think the player had on the flop and turn?

I am thinking you had him on the flush, so charging is fine. But was curious as to what is going through your mind/your read, because that dictates the play you choose.

mullaney
04-25-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised pre-flop as well. Fold to a significant re-raise. Makes decisions such as the one you had on the flop much easier to make. "Slowplaying" JJ is not a good idea - the hand is just not that strong and when you min bet it you are on a majority of the flops you are going to get play it for the set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it as slowplaying when you are in early position. When you are in early position jacks aren't that different from tens or nines. They are weak enough that it's prudent to simply limp in them, hoping for a set or an overpair on the flop. It makes it hard to get away from when you flop an overpair and get a lot of action, but as long as you can get away from them, it's a better play. Also, when you limp, you can call a late position raise preflop. If you raise, you have to lay them down to a reraise most of the time. But it's just an opinion.

SacraVia
04-25-2004, 02:16 PM
I was more so commenting on how he mentioned it as a slow play in the original post. And I do agree a limp is good with Jacks UTG sometimes. But I think limping with them is much better in a tight game than the standard low limit loose games at UB, Party or Stars. For example here, going 7 handed with JJ out of position, with no idea what every one else has is a recipe for losing your stack.

Thats why I think a raise preflop is good, in this type of loose game, because at least you identify people in a range of hands instead of guessing like he had to do.

LikesToLose
04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
That's what he gets for slowplaying his flopped straight.