PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just have that feeling.

Nottom
04-25-2004, 01:08 AM
MP1 in this hand is a bit loose but fairly passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Nottom is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Nottom 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (16.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Nottom bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Nottom 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (13.16 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, Nottom checks.

River: (13.16 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Nottom folds, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: 16.16 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 15.16 BB, won by MP1.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: 1 BB, overbet by MP1.</font>

BaronVonCP
04-25-2004, 01:19 AM
How do you feel about your play on this hand?

Your bet on the turn could have been the last bet you put in the pot if you wanted it to. Please enlighten us.

Nottom
04-25-2004, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you feel about your play on this hand?

Your bet on the turn could have been the last bet you put in the pot if you wanted it to. Please enlighten us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm sure I screwed up. In a live game maybe I could come up with some reason that my spidey sences were tingling, but online I really can't so I'll try to reason through it with some weak hand reading techniques.

Basically my thinking here is, he raised preflop. Passive players don't do that a whole lot. Prolly TT-AA plus the big As. He didn't cap so that elimates the bigger pairs (not that that helps my case much since they are ahead of me anyway).

He checkraised me on the flop. That takes the big A's away from a passive player, now I'm left with TT-QQ.

Now a T hits the turn ... well thats not good. Even with my read I don't think I could fold to a checkraise on the turn, so I did what I do when I don't know what to do when I get raised ... I checked.

I didn't expect to be folding the hand, I planned on caling a river bet, but his river raise basically cemented my fears since he obviously didn't fear the board at all.

Of course, if I was confident enough to be scared of a T on the turn I suppose you could make a point that maybe I shouldn't be 3-betting him with JJ preflop. Maybe thats true, but I wasn't super confident in that read and went with my default play. On the turn however, I decided to go into my weak-tight mode that has served me well when called upon in the past.

bicyclekick
04-25-2004, 01:32 AM
I'm so with barron on this one. Bet the turn and with that river card it's easy to check through.

joker122
04-25-2004, 01:39 AM
I think maybe the "feeling" was that the only hand MP could have that he's ahead of on the flop is TT, and now, on the turn, he's not?

BaronVonCP
04-25-2004, 01:43 AM
That's a mighty specific feeling.

BaronVonCP
04-25-2004, 01:48 AM
I see where you are coming from. I get similar 'feelings' a lot when weakktighties get aggessive.
However, mine are never strong enough to make me act in such a drastic manner.

You could have easily been correct in your read. I hate putting money on it though.

rigoletto
04-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Even with my read I don't think I could fold to a checkraise on the turn

Hmm...

Nottom
04-25-2004, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah ... I know. Its just hard to fold an overpair for 1 bet. I mean I have a read, but I'm not sure of it. I didn't have any notes on him and was only going off my thoughts from what I had seen, maybe he wasn't so passive and picked up ATs and raised, decided to check-raise his flush draw and would checkraise me on the turn when he picked up top-pair.

In general, I hate to fold hands on the turn and river without a really good reason. I would much rather miss a bet or two than give away the whole pot becasue of a misread.

JTG51
04-25-2004, 02:12 AM
MP1's pattern screams QQ-TT, maybe 99. He could have other hands but those are the most likely. Given that, I think your play, while not the default, is a fine alternative to use once in a while. Of course, it's better heads up.

Trix
04-25-2004, 03:29 AM
Just bet turn as your last bet going in.

If the flop raise is enough to convince you that you are beat, then you might aswell fold on the flop.

rigoletto
04-25-2004, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah ... I know. Its just hard to fold an overpair for 1 bet. I mean I have a read, but I'm not sure of it. I didn't have any notes on him and was only going off my thoughts from what I had seen, maybe he wasn't so passive and picked up ATs and raised, decided to check-raise his flush draw and would checkraise me on the turn when he picked up top-pair.

In general, I hate to fold hands on the turn and river without a really good reason. I would much rather miss a bet or two than give away the whole pot becasue of a misread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't just miss a bet, you also gave UTG+2 infinite odds to hit his Q. If you can't fold to a checkraise on the turn here I think you have something to work on. Do you also find yourself making a lot of crying calls on the rive?