PDA

View Full Version : Pokerstars

ansky451
04-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I've been playing pokerstars for a few months now, ive turned a small profit, just short of 1000 dollars, but ive heard that partypoker is a lot easier to beat, especially in the nl rooms, where i often play. Is it worth it to switch to pp? will i have a much easier time?

MS Sunshine
04-24-2004, 07:38 PM
If you play 6-max then now is a good time, but everyone has been posting about how much tighter the 10-players tables are lately. I don't know, because I don't even look at them.

MS Sunshine

Boris
04-24-2004, 07:56 PM
I think if you play tourmanents then pokerstars is the place to be. I've found the cash games on pokerstars to be tough. but I play the higher limits except the 100-200.

ansky451
04-24-2004, 08:05 PM
I do play lots of tourneys- ( i lost 3 200 2 tbls in a row, then came in 1st on one in a 8 hr session the other day /images/graemlins/smile.gif ), but whats wrong with the tourney system on party?

benfranklin
04-24-2004, 08:58 PM
A big problem is the structure, at least in the one-tables. You only get T800, and the blinds start at 10-15. Tight play will get you to the final 4-5 almost automatically, but it is very easy to get blinded out at that level, when the bb gets up in the 200-300 range.

tdomeski
04-24-2004, 09:35 PM
I played Pokerstars and won a good amount of money playing NL ring games for a few months. . then I went on a bad run and lost a couple of buy-ins and decided to go over to Party. . . My first night at Party I lost 4 buy-ins all with AA all in pre flop. . .I'm back at Stars and haven't played Party since. . .The action was great, but I don't like taking all of the skill out, and at the lower NL tables at Party it seemed to be a real crapshoot.

ricdaman
04-24-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played Pokerstars and won a good amount of money playing NL ring games for a few months. . then I went on a bad run and lost a couple of buy-ins and decided to go over to Party. . . My first night at Party I lost 4 buy-ins all with AA all in pre flop. . .I'm back at Stars and haven't played Party since. . .The action was great, but I don't like taking all of the skill out, and at the lower NL tables at Party it seemed to be a real crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more. I can win big at the NL 2/4 on Party, but on the the NL .50/1, I lost $70 going all-in with QQ pre-flop... got 3 callers... A4s, KJo and 88. A came on flop and I lost. Unless you plan on playing NL 2/4 or above, stick with Stars or UB. My personal preference is UB. It seems to be a little easier than Stars.

SacraVia
04-25-2004, 03:01 AM
I have been playing Stars just recently after almost a years worth of play at Party. I find there games vastly different as they seem to have much more weak/tights than party does, esspecially at the lower limits.

However, I am building a bankroll and have only played the .5/1 and .25/.5. Those games seem very easy to dominate, as the players are just so easy to push around. I have not run into a "good" player yet. Also, for me, it seems the variance is much less than party in my short stay.

The party 6 handed tables are good, but cater to a more aggressive style. Unless, you are innately that way, its going to take a fair amount of getting use to. The 10 handed tables are still very good. A little tighter yes, but still very very profitable. Then again, I prefer a less maniacal game....

I am relatively new player, just coming out of a 3 month stretch from hell, so take it with a grain of salt.

PokerSlut
04-25-2004, 02:03 PM
I think Party is just much higher variance due to there being a lot of players who are willing to go all-in with just about anything. The players are definitely easier to beat and more +EV in the long run, but the variance can be insane.

If you plan to play on Party NL, be sure to have at least a 10 buy-in cushion, 20 would be better IMO.

MS Sunshine
04-25-2004, 02:33 PM
I play with a 60 buy-in BR and I advise a 30 buy-in BR. You maybe closer, because my varience per 100 hands is $132 after the last 17K of 6-max $100s. My biggest negative swing has been in the 8 buyin range.

MS Sunshine

PokerSlut
04-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Well, my advice takes into account that you would drop down to a lower level if you break that cushion. I should have stated that initially. I think it is certainly possible to suffer from a bad run of cards that leaves you down more than 10 buy-ins. In fact I have seen good players go through 10 buy-ins in a single session, never once putting their chips in at a disadvantage.

The other alternative to dropping down in level is to tighten up dramatically so you only bet the nuts, which still might be +EV on Party, but is certainly not optmimal.

Ben
04-25-2004, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can win big at the NL 2/4 on Party, but on the the NL .50/1, I lost $70 going all-in with QQ pre-flop... got 3 callers... A4s, KJo and 88. A came on flop and I lost.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's so much ignorance in your statement I'm not even sure where to begin.

Let's go to the other end of the spectrum and say your opponents are excellent, and can pin you exactly on QQ. Would you prefer:
"I can't win big at the NL 2/4 on Party. I lost $70 going all-in with QQ pre-flop... got 2 callers... AA, KK. No help came on flop and I lost."

Also, you lost ONE buy-in and have decided the games suck?

If you can't beat games where your opponents play trash, I doubt you'll beat higher-level games for much time.

-Ben

MrFroggyX
04-25-2004, 07:34 PM
The 10-man tables on party are much tighter than before. But you can still make profit on them.. But I have dropped down from the $50 to the $25.. Mostly because I play lots off tables and my style is to play good solid poker and I play my cards.. (Off course I bluff and so on) And on the $50 level the maniacs are almost gone.. So no one pays off your good hands as often. In the $25 there are still plenty off fish. But still tighter than before.

I’m trying to adjust to the 6 man tables and goes all right.. But I much prefer the 10-handed games.

But am going to take some time of party this week and concentrate on some serious bonus whoring.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I’m also going to check out the stars NL tables, I have heard some fishy things about them.. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barry_G
04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
I think Stars tourneys are the best. The Party six-max $100 are great right now. All the maniacs love them. They are very aggressive but very loose. My biggest downturn has been about 4.5 buy-ins with several days turning my $100/200 buy into 600 to 1k. I actually got put all-in on a bluff by J4o when i had KK. Took down a $600 pot.