PDA

View Full Version : WSOP Qualifier Tournament Report

eMarkM
04-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, it was quite a night for me last night on Stars. Maybe being King of the Zoo inspired me or something. To start things off, I took 2nd in the 259 person 10PM $50 NLHE for a nice $2266 score. My first top 3 finish in a couple months. At the same time I was running real well and in the money in the 20K gaurantee $11 rebuy, but when I got my chips in against a smaller stack with my AK vs his KT and a T came on the river I was crippled and went out shortly after 76th out of 828 and the minimum $54 win.

Stars has been running tons of satellites to the WSOP and I have to say I haven't been taking much advantage of them. I've only played three of these WSOP qualifiers where they send one or two players to the Big Show. A couple on Paradise and this one last night. I did take 2nd in one of those $3 rebuys that give you $650 towards the super. I'm still sitting on those $W bucks as it's tough for me to play on Sunday evenings, family time and all.

So I'm deep into both the afformentioned tourneys and I see the $30 rebuy coming up in a few minutes. Never played it before, figured to give it a shot. I don't play these tourneys that are so top heavy too often, just so much luck needed to get to the real prize. That $3 rebuy I won kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. You work your ass off for 4-1/2 hours and can still bust on the final table with nothing to show for it. This $30 rebuy had 356 players competing with only 6 total paying out and, of course, the real payout is reserved for the final two. You aint there for the $650 consolation prize. Go all that way to make a final table just to get your heart broken.

In the beginning I was barely paying attention to this tourney as I was deep in the other two. So play for me was very straightforward as my attention wasn't really focused on it. But during the fast, loose rebuy period I picked up AK and got all in preflop vs JJ and a flopped K doubled me up. Later I got my own JJ, had a couple callers and when the board came with no overcards I pushed in and took it down to go to T5300. I was in the top 20 and never had to rebuy.

I take the add-on and I'm cruising along post-rebuy period with about T10000, still in top 30 when I pick up 55 in LP with 200/400 blinds. I open raise 1200 and the button with T18K calls as does short stacked SB. Flop comes down a smile inducing 5c 2d 8d. SB checks, I check, button bets 1400. SB folds and I check raise all-in. He calls and turns over Cowboys. His slowplay cost him there, a big preflop re-raise and I likely lay it down. Now I'm in top 10 in chips with 20K.

I've worked my way to T35K, mostly picking on small stacks and avoiding those who can cripple me. I've never had my stack significantly dented until I try a steal from MP with Ad8d. I'm called by the player on my left, who has shown in past hands to be pretty loose and nearly unbluffable. Blinds 600/1200 and with this T37000 stack the only stack who has me covered. He calls my raise to 3600. Flop comes 2d Ac Qh and I'm in a quandry. I hate my kicker, but I bet out 4800 and he calls quickly. Yuck. I check the turn of 5c and he bets 4800. I go into the tank and finally called. River is 4s and it's check, check. He takes it down with A9o. Ick. Back to 22K.

Now my big suckout. I really played this one badly and got saved. My T25K stack is now not too impressive at this stage, basically average. 20K UTG calls and I only call with 44. Mr Unbluffable at 52K also calls and the SB. Flop comes 3s 3d 2h. UTG comes out betting 2400 and I raise to 6K putting him on some weak overcards and trying to move the others off their hands and hopefully get him to fold, too. But he calls. Turn is 9c. He checks and I move in. He calls in a flash! Crap! He trapped me, he has A3 for trips. I'm done for.

River 4c.

And with that suckout I'm back to top 5 with T50K. I tread water for a long time at T50K, a lost pot here some blind steals there and I'm still on the same T52K with two tables and about 11-12 players left when I pick up AQc in MP. Blinds are 4000/8000 and when a 69K moves in from UTG on this 6 handed table, I make the call to be rewarded when he shows down A7s. He flops a gutshot straight draw, but it doesn't come in, and I'm in very good shape going into the final table with T117K.

By hand 272 we are at the final table. Zooer Legend27, aka LaJune on Stars, is also there. Leader has 272K, LaJune has 170K, I have 131K and short stack has 75K. Blinds are 4000/8000.

Two hands later, the dream situation. Shortie with 69K goes all-in ahead of me and I'm sitting on Aces. She's got nines and is out. Down to 8 players and I'm in 2nd with 219K. 2nd shortest stack goes down shortly after when his AQ is dominated by AK. So now Down to 7 and one from the "money". Of course, no one wants to win just a measly $650 at this point. Not after all this. You can smell the action in the world's largest tournament from here. Really we're still 5 until the real prize.

A big confrontation occurs. Blinds still 4K/8K and Niin with 163K raises to 24K. gsmart from the BB goes all-in with his 140K. A race between TT and KQ. Niin's TT holds up and we're down to six.

Now LaJune's exit. He's shortest with 119K and moves in with AK. gooseflush calls with AQ and LaJune looks in great shape until the flop comes down QQ9. Such a cruel game this can be sometimes. He does get his consolation $650, but that's gotta sting. You can play perfect poker all night and then one 3 outer nails your coffin shut.

We're down to five, but that doesn't last long. Very next hand Team Angle, now the shortest goes in with blinds now 6K/12K with his 168K stack. Niin, chip leader with 413K, calls. Angle has Presto and niin's Hooks dominate him and we are down to four.

The chip counts, Niin 602K and heavy fav to be one of the two to go. gooseflush is 2nd with 331K, I'm third with 234K and gcDanno is last with 127K. I'm going to need to make a move if I'm going to get in. Several hands of raise and steal, raise and steal and finally Danno moves in his short stack and is called by gooseflush. Danno has Q5 and flush as AJ, A on the turn seals Danno's fate and now the REAL game begins.

Man! This is really it. World Series of Poker is within my grasp! Three men, two going to the dance. Counts are Niin 652K, goose 397K and I'm short with 243K. I have my work cut out for me. I don't expect goose and niin to get into major confrontations with each other as long as I'm low man.

The next 30 minutes are the most intense, pressure packed moments of my poker playing career. A chance to turn $60 into a dream come true.

More on that in the next post...

fsuplayer
04-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Great post so far! I hope you made it! I cant wait to hear the details.
FsuPlayer

MicroBob
04-24-2004, 07:22 PM
me and several zoo-ers were there cheering emark on.

i won't spoil the ending for you (or anyone else who doesnt know).....but i will say that i look forward to reading his analysis of some of the hands and learning what his hole-cards were at various points (where we were left in mystery).

i will also say that it was pretty intense just to watch
....and i don't even know emark except over the virtual felt. it occured to me that i would have a tough time handling playing under that kind of pressure if i felt like this just watching a guy.

i do think my occasional cheering or Oh F--k's!! may have awoken the neighbors a couple times.

good post e-mark and i look forward to your follow-up.

gcDanno
04-24-2004, 09:03 PM
I won't ruin the ending for the readers, I'll let you post that. Suffice to say, I'm sad that I was unable to join in the fun past #4. Last week I finished #4, so this was familiar territory. Unfortunatly, I short stacked and was constantly fighting miserable cards, and misplayed the one hand I had at the final table (KK).

Down to the final 4, this was a very aggressive table of stealing the blinds. Big bet, fold. Big bet, fold. I rarely joined in, and was being blinded to death.

Finally, I take a chance with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif and i'm all in. Niin calls with 77. Flop is a miracle. KQT. Turn is even better, the J, and now I've got the nuts and can't lose. But the river offers the Ace, and we split the pot. ARG!!!! If I win the pot, I'm either the chip leader or very close to it!!!!

A few hands later, goose 171k, raises all in, and I (224k) call with AJspades. He's got AT, hits a ten on the flop, and I never recover.

At least this time I scored the $650 when I went out.

I also repeated another $650 today during the afternoon game finishing in 7th. This one was also very difficult as I totally limped into the final table. I had my chance, but my 66 allin short stack was called by KJ and the J on the flop, and I'm packing. However, I've had 3 final tables in the last 24 hours, so it's been a great day and a half.

I just wish I could break through and get that Vegas trip.

gcDanno

eMarkM
04-25-2004, 01:04 AM
I've been to plenty of Stars final tables before, mostly $50 buyin events and have had that adrenaline rush of being at a final table knowing every hand was for another $1000 or so. Heck, I was just at one earlier this very evening. And that rush is fun, it's a blast. It's what you live for. It's part of what makes gambling so addicting to some. But the difference between 3rd and 2nd wasn't 1K, it was a gaping $10,350. This was definately not fun for me, I didn't have that typical exciting rush. What I had a was a huge knot in my stomach the whole time when it was down to three and Vegas sooo close. The pressure was the most I've ever felt in my short poker career. I've never played with this much at stake.

Here I was, three players left with two of us getting a ticket punched to Vegas and the Biggest Game in Town. Someone here on the site noticed me playing the final table and posted something on the IG board urging posters here to come and back me (and Legend27, too). They started appearing to offer encouragment. But when it got down to three, I turned observer chat off to concentrate on the task at hand. What followed was an epic confrontation.

It was hand 320 for me and here's the chip counts:
Seat 1: niin (652777 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (397433 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (243790 in chips)

Blinds are 10000/20000 so we are in some serious crap shoot territory. Truthfully, I didn't like my chances. The big stack is on my left, so I'm always going through him on steals. I'll pretty much be forced to go all-in whenever I come into a hand.

Hand 322, I get A4o. niin makes min raise on the button and I only call from the BB. I have to admit I'm really tense here. I should have probably come over the top and pushed in here. But when the flop came A high, I put out a 120K bet and take it down.

Next couple hands I fold J2s, 64o & K5s to raises. I pick up AK and go allin and take down the blinds. I get hands like 32o and other crap and maybe I should make a move anyway, but I fold and start getting chipped away. This is bad.

Hand 335, I pick up 33 and move in. No one calls and after this hand the counts are

Seat 1: niin (657777 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (426433 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (209790 in chips)

I'm treading water. But then I pick up A5, AJ and 88 on consecutive hands and raise all-in each time and take down the significant blinds. Back up to 252K and I'm chipping away at them.

I get KT and AT and raise and steal and I'm feeling like I'm back into things with the following chip counts

Seat 1: niin (657777 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (350433 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (285790 in chips)

Looks like a race between me and goose with niin trying to stay out of trouble to hang on. But, honestly, at these blind levels, it's still anyone's game.

Then I get cold decked with winners like 82, 83, nary a face card and get whittled down to 165K.

Blind have just moved to 15K/30K. And JTs and K5 in next few hands get me some steals and back up to 264K. Bidding my time for the big double through. The knot in my stomach grows tighter. Chip counts are virtually the same as when we started:

Seat 1: niin (607777 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (421933 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (264290 in chips)

Hand 370. Niin folds on the button, gooseflush raises from the SB to 90K. He's been picking on me a lot as Niin has choosen to fold on the button often rather than risk his big stack to us in the blinds. He certainly doesn't need the chips and he's just waiting for a confrontation between me and gooseflush. We'll he gets his wish when I see AQo in the BB and push in. goose calls and has KJh. After nearly 50 hands, we have our first all-in. I'm a favorite, but he's live. I'm up out of my seat and pacing my office floor when the flop comes 9h 9c 2c. Ok...Ok. Turn is 6c and I can barely stand to watch the river but when it comes down 6h I let out a big holler "YEAH"!

Seat 1: niin (606277 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (157643 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (530080 in chips)

Now I can be the hunter. gooseflush is serverely damaged and within a couple more hands is down to 97K. He pushes in, I muck my J5o and niin calls him down. Here we gooooo!

Oh crap, they both have the same hand. Q7o. How anti-climatic. They chop it up.

Gooseflush is still hurting but he moves in on the next three hands to give himself some breathing room. Best I had in those hands was 9 high, I'm dying for a hand here to take him out and end it.

Hand 387 - Goose has shown great tenacity himself as he's crawled back to 156K. And he moves in again. I muck my 87o, but niin calls. Here we go again...niin has A3 and goose has KJ. But a K comes on the flop, I let out an expletive, and it's about the worst thing that could happen, goose doubles up and is right back in it.

Seat 1: niin (549134 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (330286 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (414580 in chips)

<Sigh>...we go back to jockeying back and forth with no flops seen for a few rounds.

Hand 395, I fold 75o. niin raises to 60K, goose with 330k in the BB calls. Flop comes 9c 2d Td and niin fires out 120K. goose moves in. niin goes into the tank. "C'mon niin, take him out!" I cry. But he folds. goose has made a tremendous comeback and that knot in my stomach that loosened up a bit when I doubled through on AQ has tightened up again.

Seat 1: niin (367634 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (513286 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (413080 in chips)

Hand 398, is this thing ever going to be over? It's more inconclusive than ever as we're all pretty even now. goose opens on the button for 60K, I toss 83s in the muck. But niin reraises. When goose calls I'm out of my chair again. Niin, the chip leader for most of time, can be sent packing now. Flop comes 7c Ks Jd. niin goes all in, goose calls! Yes!!! Either niin will be out or goose will be severely crippled.

niin has KQ, goose has KQ. God damn it. This is too much for me. They chop.

Hand 404, I'm short man now 381 to niin's 405 and goose's 506. goose folds the button and I get AJ and raise to 90K. niin raises me back to 150. I just call. Looking back, maybe I should have pushed and taken my chances. Flop comes 7d Ks 6h and I'm not liking that one bit. I wuss out and check. He moves in and I fold.

Seat 1: niin (558884 in chips)
Seat 3: gooseflush (505036 in chips)
Seat 6: eMarkM (230080 in chips)

Really screwed that one over, I'm back on the hot seat.

Hand 412, blinds have just moved to 20000/40000. Niin is back in control with a 652K stack and me and goose are pretty even with 349K and me with 292K.

From the button niin moves in. I have 88. I thought niin could do this with A7 as easily as AK, maybe even a worse pocket pair. I'm willing to risk a coin flip at this point if he has the suspected overcards. So I call. He has 33!!!

YEEESSS! I'm going to take the chip lead. The flop comes 7d 9h Ah with only a runner runner flush draw for him. I'm in great shape. I'm thinking of how all the guys at work will flip when I tell them I'm going to the WSOP. How my wife will be so excited we're going to Vegas. All the 2+2ers and other poker players I'll meet there. And of course, the chance to play in the biggest NL tourney in the world, the god damn World Series of Poker.

Now of course, there's still more poker to be played and these guys have been awful tough, but with my chip lead I should be able to....

And then the turn came...

3s

Next, the aftermath...

ohkanada
04-25-2004, 03:35 AM
Very painful Ed,

I remember one bubble in a live tourney for me. It was only several hundred dollars and it wasn't even a bad beat, QQ vs AKs. But after 9 hours and then I needed to drive home 100+ miles. It was very depressing.

Keep on playing,
Ken Poklitar

Stoneii
04-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Nightmare ending but fabulous play to get there.

well done

stoneii

fsuplayer
04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
EMark-
I would say that's heartbreaking except that you hit your two outer on the river to break his heart and restore justice in the 2+2 world....right? I mean c'mon, he hits a two outer after you make a great read?....please tell me you spiked the eight on the river!
Hope it worked out.(hell, you have my heart pounding just reading it!)
FsuPlayer

cornell2005
04-25-2004, 04:59 PM
oh man...

Jason Strasser
04-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Oh my.

whiskeytown
04-25-2004, 05:10 PM
I don't know which is worse...losing the seat to a 2 outer

or losing the seat twice more cause the two all-in's chopped both times

you had to have some horrible luck to get that seat taken away from you EmarkM - my condolences....

next time....;)

RB

Rick Diesel
04-26-2004, 09:23 AM
eMark,

Just wondering if you or either of the other two left considered offering to save $500 or $1,000. It just seems that for all of that hard work, it is such a shame to go out on the bubble and only get $650.

Rick Diesel

Peter H
04-26-2004, 01:04 PM
PART III man... im eagerly waiting... this is the best thread ive read in awhile.

pete

eMarkM
04-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I wanted to give myself some time to reflect before posting my final thoughts. I'll try and get to it later tonight.

morgant
04-26-2004, 02:10 PM
great, excellent, fun, exciting, post, really a great read thanks. sorry about the bust, i was with you every inch of the way(mentally, while reading) and feeling the knots you spoke of. after these type of emotional tourneys, it takes a little while(at least for me) to get back on the train for one of these marathons again. that is when poker can be be so frustrating, when the luck factor comes into play, on the flipside its what adds the excitement and exhileration as well. GREAT POST

Ian J
04-26-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is the best thread ive read in awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

best ever for me... great post. please tell me an 8 hit the river.

Sheriff Fatman
04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Ed

I saw the last 45 minutes or so and it was painful viewing. From a spectator point of view I didn't see you put a foot wrong and the two chops were horrible.

To be fair, goose battled back well from the short stack when he looked likely to go out - he had more than his fair share of luck to cling on but it was a classic confrontation to watch.

My stomach was churning so I can't imagine how you coped.

Brilliant effort and a fabulous report. Wish the outcome had been happier. At least its helped me put my 30+3 SnG bubble finishes into perspective!

Sheriff

eMarkM
04-26-2004, 11:48 PM
It's 4AM and the Three of Spades has just completed a two outer and wiped out my best shot at turning a mere $60 entry into a spot in the WSOP.

Usually when I take a bad beat like I did in this tournament, my first reaction would be to get angry. As much as I try sometimes I can't but curse at the screen at the bozo who'd play X cards and chase and suckout on me even though I know it's that very chasing that pays you off in the long run. But the Three of Spades didn't draw what you think would be a mega-tantrum from me, just a pathetic whimper. I let out an almost inaudible "no" and I slowly laid my head on the desk. I was utterly drained. I was completely numb. I didn't see the river card, I didn't need to. When I looked up again, I just saw that hideous yellow banner Stars has declaring the tournament over, thank you for playing.

I turned observer chat back on to see the chorus of "riverstars" and "tough luck Mark" from the gallery. I just typed in "I am numb" and logged off, shut down the computer and headed for bed. I stay up late to play poker, but usually not this late. Not with a 4yr old and a 6 month baby in the house getting up at the crack of dawn. When I laid down how much sleep you think I got? It took awhile to finally fall asleep, just visions of the Three of Spades whenever I shut my eyes and thoughts of what could have been. The sun was rising just as I dozed off.

Which wasn't for long. The next day I told my wife and tried to put the "that's poker" spin on it and tried to brush it off, but I was pretty depressed--and dead tired--the whole next day. I found enough energy to write the initial post and when I wrote the part of where I sucked out with the 44 I started to cheer up a bit. I mean, without my own suckout 2 outer on my part, I would never been in the position to make the final three in the first place. So it was only then when reviewing the hands and remembering that that I started to really take the "that's poker" attitude in stride as I should.

Still, it was essentially a $10,000 2-outer beat. Granted I would have had a 2-1 chip lead over the other two which by no means guaranteed I would win, but it sure would have given me the best chance I had that night. I hadn't had any opportunity to play the dominant stack in that confrontation and the way I was playing I think I would have won the day. One thing this experience should have on me, it should really toughen me up to those "mundane" $500 beats where I put my whole stack in a NL cash game with top set and have the simple flush draw call and drawout on me.

So now today I'm reading davidross' "Week 52" post for his first full year of playing professionally and how he's heading to Vegas to try and land himself in the big game as well. Well, David and I have played together many times in LL games and while we've drifted apart a bit over the past year, I consider him my best "online" friend. So I tried to get my mother and sister to watch our kids while my wife and I head over to Vegas the weekend before the WSOP to hook up with him and any other 2+2ers and play in some supers there if I can't win online.

But my mother and sister couldn't commit as I suspected under their current circumstances. Damn. But my wife suggested that I just go myself. "Really?" I said like some puppy dog waiting to be let outside. I was pretty shocked she'd allow me to go to Vegas without her. Not that I'm on a short leash or anything (ok, who am I kidding), but that she just loves Vegas and would give me a serious guilt trip if I went without her (well, probably still gonna get that, her blessing or no). She'd love to go and would have no problem playing Blackjack while I go play poker. But, I think knowing how close I came to winning a seat convinced her I might actually know what I'm doing. That and seeing my fat ass mope around the house, she probably knew that would cheer me up.

And it definately has helped. I'm booking my trip tonight, weekend before the big event. If I can win my way in, I'll spend more time there, until I bust. Or I'll just have fun playing satallites and side games and meeting some 2+2 friends. In the meantime, I'm going to continue my efforts at a seat, play a few more of the qualifiers and larger $650 supers. And if I can't do it online, there's the supers at Binion's (or Harrahs or whatever it's called now).

So the beat of my life appears to have led to a great getaway to Vegas at the height of the poker frenzy there. Hope to see you all there if you're in town and hope you'll see my name on the leaderboard come late May.

ohkanada
04-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Glad to see your going Ed.

I am off to Vegas in 33 hours. Not that I am counting or anything /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken Poklitar

fnurt
04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Great report and very nice showing. Next time you're in that position the cards will be kinder. /images/graemlins/smile.gif