PDA

View Full Version : Weak-Tight play on bubble?

SparkyDog
04-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Playing a 5.50 SNG at Pokerstars with blinds at 75/150, I found myself the short stack (~T1500) on the bubble with a loose passive player on my left(~T3000), a rock on my immediate right (~T2700), and a loose aggressive (~T6000) trapped betweeen. LAG would raise about 1/3 of the time, from any position. I could tell that he was splashing around, bullying others with his stack on the bubble.

My strategy was to fold just about anything to a raise from anyone, push if I was the first in with hands as bad as K8s, A8o, and not call anything, but rather re-raise or fold. Often I would fold questionable hands when LAP and LPP were in the blinds, to hope one of them knocked the other out, since I was guessing that the rock wasn't going anywhere until he made the money. Some examples of my playing too tight perhaps:

Folding T9s UTG (already know the answer to this one, way too tight and scared)
Folding 78o to 4xBB raise from LAP when in the BB
folding Q8o on the button
folding J8o UTG
raising K /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif pre-flop, then folding it to a 1/2 pot bet from LAP on a 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif board
raising A /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif pre-flop, then folding it to 3/4 pot bet from LAP on a 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif board

When in this situation, does one just hope to catch decent cards (I wasn't seeing anything good really) or wait until another busts out, or do you try to play back at the big stack, even without a safety net if it doesn't work?

t_perkin
04-25-2004, 11:50 AM
The blinds are still not that big compared to your stack.
You can afford to wait things out a bit, especially with the two loose players.

If you want to chivvy things along a bit then push in with Ax and PP. At this buyin you are best to just push or fold, you are basically pot committed with any bet that you make.
But really you should just wait a while. There is a good chance you will slip into the money without playing a hand.

Steer clear of playing low suited connectors as the small stack against loose players, you don't have enough chance to steal PF which is what you really want with suited cons.

Send me the hand history if you like and I will comment. It is difficult to get a "feel" for the game by just thinking about individual hands.

You can't win em all. If you don't get any good cards then it is tough to win, especially against bad players who call a lot.

Tim