PDA

View Full Version : Party - at which level you start playing peope, not cards only?

hukilai
04-24-2004, 10:00 AM
Hello, everyone...

I am still a novice in holdem, and currently building up my bankroll at Party's 0.5/1. Doing fine there playing 2-3 tables.

I have a dilemma I which I canot resolve an a rational way, just do not have enough experience I think.

It is generally assumed that micro limit players are loose-passive, and appropriate strategies are applied when playing them. So the my play is pretty mechanical - I evaluate my hand, amount of bets on the table, calculate the odds - and according to those I make my decision. This is what I am calling playing cards.

Because I am acting like this, I am capable of playing more than one table - and therefore I increase my win/hour rate.

I understand, that to fully maximize my winnings and minimize loses I should also to take into the accounts all the personal qualities of other people at the tables - good or bad, loose or tight, aggro or passive, etc - this I call play people. But as a downside you have to pay much more attention to certain tables and as a result, I personally cannot play in this manner on more than one table.

I can guess that on higher level evaluating people is a very important skill which you should have and use.

Also, I understand in the perfect world I need to play both - cards and people - but what about the reality?

Actually I have two questions:

1. So at which level you carefully evaluate all the players before you play against them - from the very beginning, 0.5/1 or later, on, say, 2/4 or 5/10?

2. At what levels it will become more profitable to play one table carefully than 3-4 ones sort of mechanically?

Regards,
hukilai

Tosh
04-24-2004, 10:23 AM
All Party levels are beatable on multiple tables by solid play. 5/10 is the highest level I will multi table though, I prefer to pay attention on 10/20 + 15/30. I know there are a lot of 2+2 posters who do play 4+ 15/30 games though.

afk
04-24-2004, 10:53 AM
In my opinion it's all very table dependant. Though I'm sure you are more likely to play the player at higher stakes (in addition to playing the cards, of course), but even at my home at .05/.10 I even find myself playing the player occasionally if I'm heads up with someone who I've played a lot with and have a good read on. It doesn't happen very often, but I think there's a time and place for it at any level of play.

ricdaman
04-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Party is one of those sites that has so many fish, you won't start playing the player till higher levels, 5/10 and above, than you would on other sites. But for you it may be as low as 2/4 or as high as 10/20.

The question is this: <font color="blue"> What will allow you to make the most money? </font>

Let me give you an example. I make more money playing 2-3 2/4 tables, than I do playing one 5/10 table. I win more $/hr at the 5/10 table than I do at any given 2/4 table, but because I am able to play multiple 2/4 tables at a time (but only one 5/10 table at a time), my win $ / hr is higher with 2-3 2/4 tables than it is at 1 5/10 table.

So, to answer your question...
Whatever will make you the most money is what you should do.

<font color="red"> Switch to playing the player when playing the player at one table makes you more money than playing the cards at multiple tables.</font> This level (3/6, 5/10, whatever) will be different for each person.

Nak
04-24-2004, 12:29 PM
Just some comments. With Poker Tracker's game time feature, you can get some good info on your players even when you are playing multiple tables. When I join a table and am waiting for the Big Blind I go back and download the last 50-100 hands at that table. Then I load up the table in poker tracker.

Another thing, though. I only play at UltimateBet, and from what I have been reading/seeing in this forum is that UB players are a little more predictable than Party Players. I am more sure that this is true in the day time. This makes Poker Tracker more valuable here.

Nak