PDA

View Full Version : /randomness

carlo
04-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I need artistic mathematician--Is there any sense to stating that a random number generator has a characterological disposition and specifically displays itself at a poker site?

daryn
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
clearly.

carlo
04-23-2004, 10:33 PM
You know where I'm going--does this affect your style of play and is this on a conscious level?

daryn
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
i'm sorry.. i was just joking.

i think they're all basically the same.

you're talking about riverstars aren't you?

carlo
04-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks,I see differences but certainly am unable to predict, but know randomness to be an illusion and the mathematics of the system is mechanistic and therefore will cause certain events to happen which may be evident in comparison to other sites/generators

carlo
04-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Sorry I didn't see your bottom line--I'v observed multiple major sites but the most telling are at p-stars and pp

daryn
04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
often people fall back on the argument that random number generators are not truly random.

i always reply with, "it doesn't matter", because.. well, it doesn't.

carlo
04-24-2004, 01:06 AM
That's the first point of clarity-I agree- but people hang onto this as a pillar of reality and therefore go no furthur-if you study 10000 hands and find that each position receives an equal distribution and therefore state that this is good,then what you have done is enforced a pattern of distribution which is characterological and since it comes from a mechanism we have as an example a "lion" or a "bear" but more like a "bloodless lion" or "blubberless bear". It matters.

daryn
04-24-2004, 01:08 AM
i fail to see how it matters. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

carlo
04-24-2004, 12:34 PM
knowledge is an experietial activity which acts upon the the recipient thus bringing "newness"(for want of a better word) to life--this is opposed to "pocket knowledge" which may have a utilitarian bent which clothes reality in it's own forms thus obfuscating this active reality .Particulate and wave physics is a mighty abstraction based upon the thought-forms of our age but none the less darken this living life.

daryn
04-24-2004, 04:25 PM
ok, that cleared things up.

M.B.E.
04-25-2004, 12:07 AM
In fact, the best online poker sites use shuffles which are truly random (not pseudorandom):

http://tinyurl.com/3d885

carlo
04-25-2004, 12:43 AM
Impossible--they can make it difficult to predict but the idea of randomness is only the expression of our inability to comprehend-there will always be a pattern but linear thinking cannot be used to approach the matter--the symptomology of the generator will be expressed and the effects will show on the players on the site.Get in touch with yourself and experience each site and note the differences--the site is not neutral and affects all of us in its own way--the computer screen,color,sound,etc. all affect the player and the internal element is a direct manifestation of the card production via the generator.This is the subtle and most compelling--the beast can twist you in the wind.This is not a matter of the sites cheating,the rake speaks for itself;100 hands/hour can convince even the most corrupt to play it straight.The "whiners"(no offence meant) at "riverstars" have a point but of course someone will always win the cash.

JNash
04-25-2004, 01:54 AM
do those fancy words come out of a random thought generator? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

daryn
04-25-2004, 02:45 AM
this guy must write bush's speeches.

MicroBob
04-25-2004, 03:28 AM
hold me, i'm confused.

C M Burns
04-25-2004, 09:44 PM
So what you're saying is that nothing is random b/c everything is interconected and any change affects everyting else to some degree, like chaos theory. This is probably true but since our puny minds cannot even begin to decipher such a pattern as far as poker goes it may as well be random. And if you could decipher it you would probably find a more exciting use for it than playing poker. is carlo short for carlos castan??? (well I can't spell it but you probably know who I mean)

Mike Haven
04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Hi ho and a jolly welcode to all you surfwide'n interwebber lopers. Here beholdy manifold things Stanley Unwinmost - all deep joy and thorkus for great laugh'n tittery.

O yes.