PDA

View Full Version : Getting Just a Little Cute with AA on Party $100

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Party $100 NLHE
Second Hand in a row I get aces, this time they are red though.
Two callers to me in the BB, and I make it $8 to go.
MP calls (no read, I have him covered) and LP folds.
Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.
I lead out for $15 and he quickly raises it to $30.
I feel top pair out there somewhere.
Now let me explain my thinking for the next play.
On the Party $50 games, I would just reraise all in and get called by AQ, QJ, KQ nearly everytime, but the $100 players seem to lay those down (except maybe AQ) a lot of the time you reraise them post flop.
Since I didnt want to lose him I just called, hopeing he would put me on AK and then bet the turn and get himself commited.
Is this type of thinking wrong here?
Should I just push in on the flop after his raise and hope he calls?
Well, I called.

Turn:4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, he moves in for $48 more /images/graemlins/grin.gif and I call.

Since its Party you dont see the hole cards until the river.....
River: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif of clubs... /images/graemlins/confused.gif
He had KQo and took it down. I make a player note and then cry.

Please critique my play, but more importantly, my thinking.
Thanks in advance,
FsuPlayer

BTW I am posting some hands bc I have been getting hurt at the tables my some awful suckouts like the one above and others just like it. I just want to make sure I am not bringing on to myself by plays like the one above. (I dont get tricky often however)

Garland
04-23-2004, 06:18 PM
I like your mentality on this hand. Most of the time on Ultimate Bet when I have AA and someone pushes back with the top pair on the board, I would simply push back and they pay me off. Your read was correct, But keep in mind that the QJ draw is possible and a semi-bluff raise could be made here.

That said you said Party folks can make these tough laydowns, so your idea to delay the push to the turn is a good one (but if there were a flush draw in addition to the straight draw, it wouldn't be). You just got unlucky at the end. Suckouts happen. It just hurts more in NL. Trust me, you'll get your fair share of suckouts too. It all evens out.

Garland

crockpot
04-23-2004, 06:26 PM
here's a problem with your analysis. you say you want him to put you on AK. why? if he knew you had AK, he would play his hand the exact same way he would if he knew you had AA, unless he has specifically AK himself. remember there are no hands on the flop that beat AK and lose to AA.

flat calling the flop is okay against the kind of player who assumes any flat call here means weakness. but i would usually push in myself on the turn in case he has QJ or something of the like, which is quite possible on a min-raise. the exception would be against a habitual bluffer.

try making a note on this guy, as many players' min-raises often tip off their hand better than any other bet size.

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Crockpot-
Wow, sorry about the error in the original post, the flop was Q 10 x, not K 10 x like i said.

That is why i wanted him to think i had AK and missed, then called his min raise trying to catch.
Thanks for catching that error on my part.
I guess thats what happens when I try to post while playing three tables at once /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I never really thought about leading into him on the turn, i guess i am not doing that enough in my play.
When exactly do you use that play of leading into a flop raiser? Just when you think he is on a draw, or other times as well? And do you bet the pot when you do lead into him?
thanks again for the help,
FsuPlayer

crockpot
04-24-2004, 09:42 AM
min-raises are a little tricky. usually, if you know the player, you know what the min-raise means. most of the time it will be a draw hoping for a free card, or a hand that can beat aces, but he will occasionally show up with a hand like the KQ here, top pair good kicker, probably because he's afraid to raise more himself in case you have a hand like aces.

the idea here is that if he has a hand like KQ or KJ he will probably call the turn bet, but there's some chance he won't bet those himself. however, he will bet a hand like a set himself.

so basically, you have to ask yourself how often the guy is going to have a set when he min-raises, and how often he'll have a draw. that should point you to the best play, but i would rarely check and call. you're giving him too much chance to use his position on you.

so in sum, if someone min-raises the flop and then shows the hand down, make a note of it. expect him to turn up with a similar hand next time he min-raises.