PDA

View Full Version : Nailed the inside straight, now what?

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 03:53 PM
Party $100 NLHE

MP raises to $9, LP calls and I am in the SB with 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Easy call right?

Flop:K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
I check and MP makes it $11, LP folds.
I call getting about 2.8-1. Should I have folded?
Turn:A /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is your play here?
Lead out?
Check raise?
...and how much $ ?

FsuPlayer

radioheadfan
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Lead out. Your opponent will have a hard time laying down his two pair or set. If the river doesn't pair the board move in.

PokerSlut
04-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Are you kidding me? There's 4 to a straight on the board. Even bad players can see that.

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 04:28 PM
For how much?
Do you worry about cutting down his possible house odds if he has two pair or a set, or do you bet just what you think he'll call?

BTW the pot is about $42.

FsuPlayer

illmatic
04-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Lead out, underbet a little. You'll get called by most any made hand. There is a possibility (but I think unlikely given the action) of a set. Your hand goes to showdown regardless of what comes on the end. Bet the river for value.

later.
illmatic

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Sorry guys, not paying attention when I was posting.
That was obviously an open-ended draw on the flop.
FsuPlayer

schwza
04-23-2004, 04:51 PM
So you flat call with tens. How big would you hand have to be to re-raise? I would definitely reraise QQ, and maybe JJ. Curious to hear what others think.

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Without any read I would not reraise JJ here. QQ: sometimes, sometimes not. QQ's in the small blind to a raise from an unknown is not a posistion I like to be in.
I usually call and check out the flop first before I get aggressive in that situation.
If you reraise, make it expensive to see that flop with AQ AJ, 1010 etc.
I just dont like reraising to about $20-25 getting called and having a flop of Kxx or Axx. That's a sticky sitation i try to avoid.
Fsuplayer

BigBiceps
04-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Don't try to checkraise. If he checks behind you and a Ten comes on the river and you split, you did nothing to protect your hand.

Garland
04-23-2004, 05:53 PM
First off, I wouldn't say it's an easy call preflop. I'm assuming the blinds are $1/$2? In that case, you're being asked to call 5x the BB with a difficult hand to play after the flop in the worst position.

Now that you hit your straight, see your problem? You're in the worst position to collect on your newfound nuts. If you check, there's no guarantee NP will bet and you'll be giving him infinite odds to get a full house or flush. If you lead out, he may fold, which will be the end of the hand.

I would be more inclined to lead out and protect the hand in case he has a set and is looking to fill up. If the other player raises, gleefully go all-in.

Garland

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Garland-
In response to the first part of your post about the preflop call, do you call with any mid-low pair here?
If so, do you just follow the mantra of no set no bet?
This can be a tricky situation w/ 88-JJ on a all low flop without posistion. Do you just check fold most of the time?
Thanks for the help,
FsuPlayer
ps With $20 in the pot, i think calling $7 more just to hit a set is worth it with both opponents having about $100.
I could be wrong though, let me know.

Garland
04-23-2004, 08:35 PM
fsuplayer,

Reading your response, you said you called only $7 more. So I guess the structure was $2/$4 rather than $1/$2? In that case, I think it's a good call.

If I'm asked to call x2 or x3 times the BB with the app, I would probably call any mid or small for set value or midpairs for overpair value in case I believe the original raiser has a high probability of being on high cards.

If the flop comes out all low cards, and you have a pair you think may be good, I might take a pot sized shot at it depending on # opponents and my reads on them. If it comes one high card (best it be just one 10 or one J) and two low cards and no set, I will reevaluate. If it comes 2 or more high cards with no set, kiss your hand good-bye.

Garland

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Garland-
The structure was $1/2 blinds on Party $100, but i was in the BB and my $2 was already in the center, so I had to call seven more to play.

FsuPlayer

Garland
04-23-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The structure was $1/2 blinds on Party $100, but i was in the BB and my $2 was already in the center, so I had to call seven more to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, your original post says you were in SB, so I was confused by that. So, yes, I think the raise is too deep to call in that position.

Garland

george w of poker
04-24-2004, 10:59 AM
why does it matter how many times the bb the bet is for? the only thing that matters is how deep the stacks are.

Yardbird
04-24-2004, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party $100 NLHE

MP raises to $9, LP calls and I am in the SB with 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Easy call right?

Flop:K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
I check and MP makes it $11, LP folds.
I call getting about 2.8-1. Should I have folded?
Turn:A /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is your play here?
Lead out?
Check raise?
...and how much $ ?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all you filled an open-ended straight draw on the turn.

I'd try for the check-raise since there's not much that can hurt you here, and I'd guess that against a decent opponent you'd be far more likely to split the pot than to run into a flush on the end; although, I might still just check-call if another /images/graemlins/heart.gif materializes on the river (but that would largely depend upon whether this was a flesh&blood game and how well I knew my opponent).

Just my $0.02

Yardbird
04-24-2004, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lead out. Your opponent will have a hard time laying down his two pair or set. If the river doesn't pair the board move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much would you bet out?

I figure that 2pair or a set would have a hard time checking behind an attempted check-raise and that the likelihood of either of the remaining Ts showing up on the river is so slim as to warrant the risk of splitting the pot (especially since it may already be a split-pot e.g., vs. JT which would become obvious I'd think after he reraises your check-raise). I'm just interested in hearing the logic behind your play---which I have no great disargeement with, BTW, I'm just more in favour of check-raising.

Daann
04-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Dunno about that, your opponent is more likely to check behind you and so you give him a free card to hit his house, as I expect that flop has probably hit him hard (I would expect two pair or a set here if he is a tight preflop raiser). Bet out and let him call.