View Full Version : I want some opinions on this hand please

woodguy
04-23-2004, 03:13 PM
$30 rebuy/addon NL Tourney. Almost 3 hours in, no more rebuys/addons
250 out of 712 players left. Top 70 get paid
I am about average with T8400.
In BB with 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
UTG (T22,000) limps T600, folded to me, I check
Flop 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG bets T4000
I just got moved to the table and have no read on UTG.
My gut puts him on AK or AQ suited or not, trying to push me out of the pot.
I go over top and get all-in.
UTG calls and turns K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif(now need antacid for gut)
4th street 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
5th street Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
I die a needless BB death.
I usually live by NO SET NO BET with small PPs, but the draw was too tantalizing for me and my bad read.
I welcome your opinions.
Regards,
woodguy

GoSox
04-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I was just thinking last night how I lose more $$ and mtt's in the blinds than anywhere else. It's tough if you're new to the table with no read. With UTG's size you could put him on almost anything, and I probably would have guessed overcards or less likely the diamond draw. If he had bet less than he did I tend to call and take a card, if it doesn't show a diamond or a,k,q than the odds are better to you to push him out. With a bet like 4000 you're pretty much pushing all in or folding. With only the 600 in the pot and he has the possibility on being on two draws better than your I'm probably folding.

ohkanada
04-23-2004, 06:36 PM
I like the aggressive play a lot more if there is a reasonable chance you can get your opponent to fold to the re-raise. After putting in 4k originally, can you really see him muck for an additional 4k. Unless he really has nothing he is calling.

Ken Poklitar

Scooterdoo
04-23-2004, 07:23 PM
I would have folded this without barely a thought. If I was at your table and saw this play out I would have been very confused by your call and probably would have typed something like 'what just happened?'.

JustPlayingSmart
04-24-2004, 01:57 AM
The UTG limp would set off bells in my head. Most people who limp UTG do it with a pocket pair, and a lot of people will raise small and medium pocket pairs and only limp AA and KK. I have been trying to figure good situations to bet out from the big blind and good situations to check. I think this spot would be a great place to make a nice pot-sized bet. If he really had nothing, he would probably fold, so when he raises you all-in you can confidently fold.