PDA

View Full Version : Playing Online Week -1

Slacker13
04-23-2004, 02:15 PM
First, I am going to apologize in advance because I know there have been numerous posts on this topic but because I own two businesses, have a family, and am currently in the beginning stages of laying out the business plans for a new Sports Bar I do not have the luxury of time to search back through old posts, so I come to you in search of some pointers.

As I stated above, I am busy as hell and quite frankly a little burned out and because of that I am taking two weeks off to sleep till noon and play poker all day.

Even though I work a lot I still squeeze in 15+ hours a week of play between two home games, local B&M, and online S&G's. 90% of my play is NLHE.

What I am looking for (took me long enough to get to the point) is I am going to load up my PP account and try four tables at a time of limit holdem and I am looking for any and all helpful advice such as:
What games seem to be the softest right now?
Playing four tables has got to be challenging so would you say to just play ABC poker to start?
Should I play 6 or 10 table?

Basically anything that you deem as important and helpful…

I did start searching all past post’s of Davids hoping to pull out key info and log it into one file but soon realized that I would need a full time secretary just for that.

I really appreciate any advice and once again I apologize for not searching past posts.

astroglide
04-23-2004, 02:36 PM
i don't know the general success rate of sports bars, but i'm reasonably certain that it's not very good. have you considered buying a franchise?

namknils
04-23-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have you considered buying a franchise?

[/ QUOTE ]

May I suggest Buffallo Wildwings?

Anyway, back to the original post. Shouldn't you be deciding these questions on your own? What limits do you play right now? If we suggest playing 4 5/10 tables are you going to feel comfortable with that?

I'm still in games not large enough to make a living at so I don't know what games to suggest as the softest, but if you can beat them then play a couple 5/10 games at a time.

Slacker13
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Sports Bars and Restaurants do fail at a very high rate but I was raised and worked in the business for many years and the one thing that was evident is the ones who are most prone to failure are the owners who are afraid to get dirty and put in the work needed to make it successful. I have seen and worked with many owners who are liquid with tons of cash and just want to open a sports bar or restaurant without any knowledge of the business and rely on their staff to make the business successful.

I am against buying into a franchise because I have my own unique ideas of how I want things done and do not want to adhere to a corporate manual that wasn’t created by me. I am actually laying out this business plan as the first store of a franchise with the future development of five new stores within three years.

Free drinks for the ZOO!

Slacker13
04-23-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't you be deciding these questions on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just looking for some helpful pointers. I, like most people would like to be armed with some info before i try this. It's obvious by my post that i am pretty damn busy and as much as I would love to make a living playing poker on line I have other things I need to accomplish first and I don't want to spend two weeks of vacation getting creamed.
It would be great if David Ross wrote that book already but he hasn't.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Already on the menu.

namknils
04-23-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't you be deciding these questions on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just looking for some helpful pointers. I, like most people would like to be armed with some info before i try this. It's obvious by my post that i am pretty damn busy and as much as I would love to make a living playing poker on line I have other things I need to accomplish first and I don't want to spend two weeks of vacation getting creamed.
It would be great if David Ross wrote that book already but he hasn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, then I guess it is a good question to ask, I just clearly don't have the answers but the .5/1 and 2/4 games at party are pretty soft if you want to play those for two weeks. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Good luck. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Already on the menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Buffalo Wildwings is a sports bar franchise. It's pretty successful from what I understand. But you've already answered these questions. Good luck here too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mmanne
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
"Free drinks for the ZOO! "

Wow, I'm moving to wherever this new sports bar is.

namknils
04-23-2004, 04:41 PM
I know, I am already planning my next vacation. Ft. Lauderdale here I come!

Slacker13
04-23-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I'm moving to wherever this new sports bar is.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know, I am already planning my next vacation. Ft. Lauderdale here I come!

[/ QUOTE ]

I will put some beers on ice.

MicroBob
04-23-2004, 07:57 PM
"What games seem to be the softest right now?"

umm, the .50/1 games are the softest right now. and they are likely to remain that way (unless party decides to add micro-tables).

if you want to add extra tables then do it gradually so that you get used to it.

if you're used to playing 2 tables.....then start your session with 2 tables, and then add a 3rd table after an orbit or two on your first tables. you can even add just a 1/2 table as your 3rd if you like so you don't really have to think about it too much.

4 tables isn't so tough if you have the computer screen-res to handle it but it does take a little bit to get used to i suppose..it's a little tougher if your screen res is 800x600.

down in florida, that 'Ale-House' franchise is pretty popular (the Jensen Beach Ale House, Fort Myers Ale House, etc). have any opinions on that group at all??

Slacker13
04-23-2004, 08:52 PM
MicroBob, thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

[ QUOTE ]
down in florida, that 'Ale-House' franchise is pretty popular (the Jensen Beach Ale House, Fort Myers Ale House, etc). have any opinions on that group at all??

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ale Houses are great places. Good food, good atmoshpere. I know a few people who are involved with them, I heard the Davie Ale House near me netted 1.2 mil last year. I actually stopped going there because it's too damn busy.

davidross
04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Since I have played many of the limits available at Party, I think I can say with some degree of confidence that the games at all levels are beatable. I'm seeing the same mistakes at 15/30 that I saw at 2/4. So a lot will depend on your bankroll. Play the highest level game you can afford a 300 BB downswing on.

As far as playing multi-tables, expect your win rate per table to drop. You cannot maintain your maximum performance as you add tables, but in my case you can still take home more in gross profit by adding tables. You will have to experiment yourself to find out how many you can play and still increase earnings. If you are new to multiple tables stay away from the shorthanded games, because they move faster. But if you like to play a lot of hands, shorthanded is the way to go. Lots of action junkies. It requires a different strategy than the full table games though. Even though I was able to win at the shorthanded games, I think my natural style is better suited to the full table games. THe shorthanded games are full of bluffing and hyper-aggression. It takes a certain style to handle that.

Good luck to you.

MicroBob
04-23-2004, 11:04 PM
"I heard the Davie Ale House near me netted 1.2 mil last year. I actually stopped going there because it's too damn busy. "

i'm not surprised....the Jensen Bch Ale House was typically packed. and i only worked in Fla in the summers when the population is obviously way down.
i suspect most of them are really jammed during 'the season'.

good luck with your bar when it gets off the ground.

daryn
04-23-2004, 11:24 PM
what is buffalo wild wings?

i used to play NTN trivia at the local ground round, it's like a nationwide linked trivia network, and a couple times high scores would be from buffalo wild wings from all over the country.

so what is it like?

MicroBob
04-23-2004, 11:53 PM
same thing (pretty much) as a BW3's.

just a chain sports-bar that features a lot of chicken-wings and a lot of beer.
i think they also have a few video-games including those shoot-the-miniature basketball games.

kind of like a hooters i guess...except with bigger TV's and less sluty waitress outfits.

i like NTN....but i'm not a big fan of the BW3's type places. people i used to work with went to them all the time.

didn't know ground-rounds would do NTN....but i think they've changed some in the past 15-20 years.

MrDannimal
04-24-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that BW3's and Buffalo Wild Wings are the same chain, and that the name evolved from BW3's (which was, I believe a shortening of Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck)

The name, BW-3, intrigued me. I could figure out one W and the B, for "buffalo wings," but I was short 2 Ws. Chambers informed me the name stands for Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck.

After the 10,000th customer going "What the hell is *weck*?" (from a quick Google, it looks like it's probably a special kind of roast beef-like sandwich), I'm sure they figured "Well, we sell so many more wings anyway..." and droped the 3rd "W" and are now Buffalo Wild Wings.

Anyway, stupid Cliff Claven babble finished.

MicroBob
04-24-2004, 11:27 PM
aha. i guess i thought it was some sort of competing knock-off chain or something.

as i said, i don't care for those places too much anyway.