PDA

View Full Version : PLO Hand

aces_full
04-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I want to learn to beat PLO without going broke so I started playing .01/.02 $5 buy-in PLO at Poker Stars.

I had about $7.50, second biggest stack had about $4, the rest of the players at the full 9 player table had on average $2 or less in front of them.

The hand in question I'm on the BB with KKTx, no suits. I'm not very impressed having to act in EP on later rounds with this, but figure if I don't flop a big blind special I'm going to fold.

Seven players see the flop ($.14 POT) 9K3 rainbow. I have top set with no real threatining draws. SB checks, I bet $.14 (pot) UTG calls, UTG +1 calls. UTG+2 (the 2nd biggest stack raises to $.56. A small stack in MP calls $.56 the rest fold to me. I have the boss hand and re-raise $1.68. This knocks out UTG and UTG +1. The other guy moves all-in, MP calls all-in. I call his remaining $3 and change bet, leaving me on the flop with two players all-in. The turn and river are both aces giving me kings full of aces, but I still don't have a good feeling with two other players all in.

The guy who was giving me all the action turned over A993 for aces full of nines as I watched all the chips slide away from me. Don't know what the other all in player had.

My question is did I play this correctly or was this another case of bad luck? In hold'em I know that set of kings would be boss, and pushing here would be a no-brainer, but since this is an Omaha hand, my only re-draws were to a full house or quads. Well I hit my full, but it certainly turned out to not be the nuts. To add insult to injury, the guy left the table with my money right after that hand.

BlackAces
04-23-2004, 11:27 AM
You got it all in on the flop with the best hand, and no outstanding draws against you (the best draw someone could have would be QJTx, for nine outs). How can you question that?

Sometime you just get unlucky (horribly unlucky in this case), and your opponents will hit their one-out or perfect-perfect draws to chase you down.

crockpot
04-23-2004, 01:05 PM
you played fine, and got horribly unlucky.

however, change the flop to something like J /images/graemlins/heart.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and you could be up against a huge draw. playing this hand is trickier, because if you are up against a draw, you would rather get the big money in on the turn after a safe card comes off; but against a lower set or two pair, you'd rather get it in now before a card hits that kills your action.

but with this rainbow board where the best straight draw (QJTx) has nine outs, you're fine just pushing the betting as much as you can.

Big Dave D
05-04-2004, 02:48 AM
YOu were unlucky. But the main point is to move out of these micro limits ASAP as you are not getting a true reflection of the game here - you're learning how 2 beat micro limit players, not necessarily how to beat PLO. Probably the 0.5-1 game is the first where people start to play somewhat "properly".

gl

dd

dogsballs
05-04-2004, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
however, change the flop to something like J T 3 , and you could be up against a huge draw. playing this hand is trickier, because if you are up against a draw, you would rather get the big money in on the turn after a safe card comes off; but against a lower set or two pair, you'd rather get it in now before a card hits that kills your action.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is misinformation that appeases those who are averse to the big swings in the game. Why get scared on the flop just cos the other player might have close to as much equity as you in the pot..?! Draws are difficult to ever be favoured over the set - so you're not losing out by playing hard on the flop. What if the turn pairs the board? Then you've lost your action against a drawing hand You lose action when the board pairs if you play cautious and wait. You can also risk getting bluff bet off the pot on the turn by a scare card if you fail to get sufficiently all-in.

If you favour waiting to the turn, try adding up those times you lose action with a paired board, those times you get bluffed off and those you are forced to fold when you would have gone on to outdraw your opp. I say you're missing out by not playing hard on the flop. Only if your opp is the type who can ONLY have the wrap and flush draw to give so much action should you slow down on the flop.

If you can't stand the heat - stay out of the PLO kitchen.

tiltboy
05-04-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to learn to beat PLO without going broke so I started playing .01/.02 $5 buy-in PLO at Poker Stars.

I had about $7.50, second biggest stack had about $4, the rest of the players at the full 9 player table had on average $2 or less in front of them.

The hand in question I'm on the BB with KKTx, no suits. I'm not very impressed having to act in EP on later rounds with this, but figure if I don't flop a big blind special I'm going to fold.

Seven players see the flop ($.14 POT) 9K3 rainbow. I have top set with no real threatining draws. SB checks, I bet $.14 (pot) UTG calls, UTG +1 calls. UTG+2 (the 2nd biggest stack raises to $.56. A small stack in MP calls $.56 the rest fold to me. I have the boss hand and re-raise $1.68. This knocks out UTG and UTG +1. The other guy moves all-in, MP calls all-in. I call his remaining $3 and change bet, leaving me on the flop with two players all-in. The turn and river are both aces giving me kings full of aces, but I still don't have a good feeling with two other players all in.

The guy who was giving me all the action turned over A993 for aces full of nines as I watched all the chips slide away from me. Don't know what the other all in player had.

My question is did I play this correctly or was this another case of bad luck? In hold'em I know that set of kings would be boss, and pushing here would be a no-brainer, but since this is an Omaha hand, my only re-draws were to a full house or quads. Well I hit my full, but it certainly turned out to not be the nuts. To add insult to injury, the guy left the table with my money right after that hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> http://twodimes.net/h/?z=294459
pokenum -o ks kd tc 2h - ah 9d 9h 3s -- 9s kc 3h
Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing 9s Kc 3h
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Ks Tc Kd 2h 749 91.34 71 8.66 0 0.00 0.913
3s 9d Ah 9h 71 8.66 749 91.34 0 0.00 0.087
</pre><hr />

Even giving your opponent the benefit of a back door flush draw it looks like you got pretty unlucky to me.