PDA

View Full Version : 14 people left $100 stars tourney - did I mess up?

gomberg
04-23-2004, 01:34 AM
I was playing in the $100 stars tourney tonight and I'm in BB w/ KK. I have T20,000 (2nd biggest stack left, biggest at this table), SB has T6,000, Button has T18,000. blinds are 300/600 w/ 50 ante.

Button, who has been playing tightish (most were), limit raises on button first in. SB goes all-in for 6000. What's your move?

I pushed all-in to isolate and not let button call with his AQ type hand, but he calls, and of course he has AA and I'm effectively toast.

Does anyone do anything different here given that I could have almost for sure made it to the top 6 without playing a hand.

mackthefork
04-23-2004, 08:25 AM
The same thing happened to me with KK v's AA in NL tournament only I got more clues preflop than you did. I deserved mine, I don't believe you did, it's so hard to throw KK away though.

fsuplayer
04-23-2004, 09:53 AM
I think that just sucks, I dont think there is any way that you can play this hand without losing all your money. You didnt try to get cute with it.
If you do get cute (or conservative) with it and just call the SB's raise of T6000, and then the button moves in over the top, do you fold?
I have a hard time folding there, but maybe I dont play good.
In addition, just as you said, if you do smooth call there, you give a hand like AJs, 1010 or better a chance to catch.
Which could be awful in this spot in the tournment.

In the end, I would be much happier with the outcome (and my play) if I pushed in there everytime. If he has aces, he has aces, but there are soooo many hands the button would do that with trying to pick up the blinds that you cant be afraid of monsters under the bed.
Tough luck there.
FsuPlayer
ps I know it wont make you feel better but I limpreraised a very aggressive player (I had KK) in a tourney very recently and he beat me to the pot and flashed his AA. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Like I said in another post, backgammon is starting to sounded better and better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
FsuPlayer

gomberg
04-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think this was just a frustration post more than anything. I just hate that I could have gotten at least $1000 instead of the $140. Oh well, that's poker. I like the backgammon idea /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ohkanada
04-23-2004, 04:21 PM
The only clue you have is someone only mini-raising on the button. For some opponents, this would be a big clue. If he normally opens 4xBB and all of sudden only 2xBB, one must wonder why.

Tough hand. Most of us would have lost 18k in chips,
Ken Poklitar