PDA

View Full Version : Out on the first hand: Bad Luck or Bad Play? (and some ranting)

fsuplayer
04-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Party $20+2 NLHE Sng
First hand
Hero SB with 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
The world limps and I complete.
Flop: the stunning and beautiful 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Since I am in temporary awe of the flop (Double belly buster with the flush draw), I see flashes of the Tesas Dolly himself but....I forget to lead out into the field! I check. Damn!
I think i should have led out and try to get raised so I can put it all in the center. But all is not lost, there is always the check raise.
Anyways, Ep bets T65
folded to me I raise to T200.
EP reraises to T500.
At this point I put him on a flopped set, but with the pot already that big I push and hope to hit my 1,258 outs.
I push he calls and shows 33 for that flopped set.
Ok, breathe... twodimes.net puts me at slightly less than a coin flip. Well I am a tails kinda guy and unfortunately the turn was Washington's big mug (7 /images/graemlins/club.gif) staring right at me, telling me, "On to the next Sng my friend."
Out on the first hand. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
In a cash game I do this everytime, but in a tourny should I play it differently, or is it just, "That sucks man, well played"?
Thanks guys,
FsuPlayer
BTW While typing this the next Sng goes just as well as I raise preflop early, get two callers and reraise a early flop better all in. He calls and shows his K10, I smile and flash my AA! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Turn: K /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif
On to the next one I guess, maybe i'll try this backgammon everyone is talking about. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ian J
04-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Probably a typo, but with that board you only have a gutshot draw, not a double belly buster. That said, this early in the tourney, I'll probably just see the turn first because you can get there so cheaply. Once the board pairs, you'd be able to get away from your gutshot/baby flush draw.

If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me yesterday. A tenth place finish and a ninth place finish within five minutes of each other. Actually made me laugh.

cferejohn
04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
You didn't flop a double belly-buster. You flopped a single belly buster plus a flush draw that is as far from the nuts as it could possibly be. I check fold this flop to any reasonable amount of action.

fsuplayer
04-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Ian J.
You are right, I had the 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif for the double belly buster. Looking back maybe I should have just called and then check folded the turn. Live and learn though. Thanks for the advice. I think with posistion a raise is definately in order, but being in EP, maybe the play is check call and peek at the turn before all the chips go in the center.
FsuPlayer

fsuplayer
04-22-2004, 05:47 PM
CforejohnI had to correct myself on this post (5s6s), but I am a little suprised by your answer. EP bet T65, which was less than a half pot sized bet. It was then folded to me. That is hardly a reasonable amount of action.
Secondly, in this hand and others like it I play itno different if my flush draw was ace high or seven high. The flow betting by EP did not indicate a flush draw to me unless he had a monster hand like As3s for a pair and flush draw.In this type of hand, heads up i figure that if I hit my flush, it will be good.
Maybe I am getting a little too attached to this type of hand, but the equilvent of a open ended straight flush draw, heads up, does not seem like a hand that should be quickly discarded. On the other hand, maybe I am reading too much Super System and too many articles by Danny Negreanu. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
That is why I posted this hand, bc it is a situation that comes up every other day or so in my online playing.
BTW, nobody has yet answered whether they play this any different in cash games, as opposed to tourneys.
FsuPlayer

LetsRock
04-22-2004, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I see flashes of the Tesas Dolly

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're no Dolly. If you think this was a great pley, you should rethink your approach a little.

IMO, this was rediculous. I have no problem calling the flop bet, but to get into a shoving match with these rags hand on the first hand of the tourney? Come on.

You have exactly 15 outs (not quite 1,258) and all but 6 of them are tainted.

Enuf said.

cferejohn
04-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Sorry. You are correct that T65 was not 'reasonable'. I think calling this is OK (given the situation described in the original post).

As for the actual hand, you are ahead of any pair on that flop (in terms of expected leader by the river) - that assumes that there aren't 2 higher spades out of course.

Given that, I think playing is strong was acceptable. However, given the fact that a) you might be considerably further behind (to a set or a better flush draw) and even if he does have a pair, your edge is marginal, I'd probably just call the 65.

Jason Strasser
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Alright, I think you have good intentions with this play, but it is DEFINATELY not how I would've played it early in a tournament.

The reason you raise on the flop, is so that you can see a free river. If you miss the turn, most players will check to the better, you can check behind.

However, you need to trust your read. What would you do with a set early in a tournament, and a flush and straight draws out there? Clearly push, or make a massive reraise.

If I were I'd call the flop bet, and fold to a big bet on the turn if I missed.

Pitcher
04-23-2004, 12:19 AM
Hi fsuplayer,

I don't like this at all. I would have called the T65 and folded as you suggest in your last post. In general, flush draws (and even flushes and str8 draws) are to be avoided for any real action until they hit. Of course, if you also have a big pair...that is different. In ring play this a great hand, in a SNG it is an early ticket to the door. You are still at best a coin flip to any pair and a big underdog to anything better like trips (which is what you put him on after the big raise).

NL SNG's are domination games (as is NL in general). Big cards and pairs win the day, not flush and st8 draws.

Pitcher