PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Bug? Do I have a legitimate gripe?

Scooterdoo
04-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Not the biggest deal in the world, but I faced what I think was a bug in the Party software a few minutes ago and was wondering if I'm right and assuming it was a bug do I have a gripe against party for my $50 entry fee.

Details:

Party $50 SnG, 50/100 blinds, 9 players left. I have T1220, in MP with AJo. Folded to me, I raise 300. Player to my left with 870 calls, and player in LP raises 585 all-in. It's now up to me. I'm only given the choices of folding or callng the additional 285. I have no option to raise all-in which is what I want to do here. Now the player to my left only has another 285 and would likely call anyway, but I should certainly have the opportunity to force him to make a tournament ending decision right here, but I wasn't.

The flop comes up 4h 6d jh and I now force him all-in, he calls with kh th and pulls his K. Now at this point we can see that a strong factor in his last call is his flush draw and he didn't have a strong preflop hand. He probably should have called any raise I made anyway, but I'm sure some people would not have called a three-way pot with that weak a hand preflop (although his call of my 300 preflop raise with KTs for more than 1/3 of his chips is such a bad call that who knows what he would do <g>). Regardless, I do believe this is a bug and I have an issue.

What do you folks think?

thrillhouse
04-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Well I figured someone who knew the "official" rules of this would post first, but apparently not.

I believe this is not a bug at Party Poker, but is the official rules of a NL game. This is the part I'm not so sure about: If there is a raise that is more than half of someone's stack, they cannot do the proper reraise (double the raise), so they can only go all in, and the raising stops there, everyone must call or fold.

I'm not sure this is exactly how it works, but I think it's close.
-Thrillho

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-22-2004, 05:01 PM
You made it 300 to go. The all-in player made it 585. A legal raise must at least double the previous bet. Thus you were not raised, and since you can't raise yourself, your only option was to call. Not a glitch, just the rules.

Scooterdoo
04-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Interesting... Never heard of that. I'm not sure I understand the rationale for this since the raiser certainly had the option to call me, so if he is going to raise me anything I should have the option to raise again to force a 3rd player to make a decision.

Anyway, of course I was only trying to get my money back based on a technicality because I'm sure that the 3rd player would have called my reraise so it's no big deal. That said, if he had more chips, my ability to reraise would have meant a lot more and could have caused him to fold. For that reason, I really don't quite understand the logic of the rule -- e.g., shouldn't it be he either calls or if he raises anything I get to reraise?

cferejohn
04-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Since the all-in was less than a full raise, most tournament rules would state that all you can do here is call or fold.

That said, I've seen players get the action re-opened to them in this same situation on Party, so I don't really know what gives here...

cferejohn
04-22-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well I figured someone who knew the "official" rules of this would post first, but apparently not.

I believe this is not a bug at Party Poker, but is the official rules of a NL game. This is the part I'm not so sure about: If there is a raise that is more than half of someone's stack, they cannot do the proper reraise (double the raise), so they can only go all in, and the raising stops there, everyone must call or fold.

I'm not sure this is exactly how it works, but I think it's close.
-Thrillho

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but not quite. Essentially, an all-in raise for less than a full legal raise amount (i.e. at least double the bet to the raiser) does not re-open the action for players who have already acted.

So, A bets 300. B goes all in for a total of 400 (i.e. not a full raise). C (who has not yet acted) may do whatever he wants. He can call, he can fold, or he can raise any amount he wishes (provided it is to at least 600 or all-in). If C just calls, A's only choices are to fold or call.

Make sense?