PDA

View Full Version : PStars "Turbo" tourny's

HUSKER'66
04-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Has anybody else had a chance to play in one of these?Same as a normal SnG on Stars as far as blind amounts...only difference is they escalate every 5 minutes instead of the normal ten.

Ceratinly makes for a quicker conclusion.I just played my first, and won it /images/graemlins/grin.gifin under an hour.(77 hands)The entry and pay structure is different as well. They have $15+1 NL, $25+2 NL, and $55+5 NL currently available, and the top four spots pay 40%, 30%, 20%, and 10%.

Just thought I would pass this info on to my fellow posters who are interested in a faster paced game, or are short on time. I found that the typical "turbo" last approx. one hour fifteen minutes.

Play well /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Husker

sublime
04-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Glad somebody started this post.

What are some of the thoughts on the "luck" factor being bigger?

Lower vig, will there be more or less fish? etc.....

Also how should you alter your usual play?

HUSKER'66
04-22-2004, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad somebody started this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you sublime. I did a search and it didn't pull up anything, so I figured I'd spread the new for those that have an interest.

[ QUOTE ]
What are some of the thoughts on the "luck" factor being bigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for anyone that has had a chance to play in any 18 player Stars SnG will know, the action can be fast and furious in the first 10/20 hands. It is not uncommon for the field to have been narrowed and one or two sitting pretty because they have doubled up. That being said, I feel that you should still try to show some patience, and not just go in a super fast mode. You should however push your good holdings with a bigger PF raise.

[ QUOTE ]
Lower vig, will there be more or less fish? etc.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the same players that you see at $10+1 and $20+2 will enter this type of event. You have to judge the "fishiness factor" your self.

[ QUOTE ]
Also how should you alter your usual play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get into a panic mode in the early rounds, just because this is a "turbo". Avoid any early confrontations unless you hold a strong hand. Be ready for players to be much more aggressive. There will be many who think they have to double and triple up in the first 20 hands so they will push all in with semi mediocre holdings.

Don't feel afraid to push when you have it, someone will almost always call.

When you have the chips/position, and the rounds are fairly high make full use of GAP.

Be prepared to push all in with your best hands anytime preflop.

Play well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Husker

sublime
04-22-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

heyrocker
04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
I have plyed a lot of these and done well. I forget who I was talking about this at the SNG, Aleo maybe? Anyways they had done very well also. I played one recently with the Fatman too, so there's people playing them.

I agree with Husker that the key is surviving until the blind:stack ratio starts getting high and then outplaying your opponents. However if there's a lot of people calling in the first round or two and I can get in for one bet, I will take more chances than usual with good drawing hands like suited connectors, suited aces, etc. Doubling in these does give a very large advantage and to me its worth the risk.

Yesterday I played a two table Turbo and I would stay away from these. By the time the blinds got to 300/600 there were still six people left and then it really does become a crapshoot.

Pitcher
04-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi Huskers,

I am glad you mentioned this. I don't play much at Stars, but based on this, that is about to change. There is a good chance I will kill this style of game.

Pitcher