PDA

View Full Version : New player expected learning curve?

Tapped
04-22-2004, 04:41 AM
Have not played poker before, 1 week ago got myself Lee Jones's winning hold'em book to find out what it's all about, and I must say I'm getting addicted even in the short time.

The statistics was easy to understand since I used to play blackjack, and after 1 day of play money and 2 days of losing $100 at 0.50/1.00 ring games at party I found out NL $10+1 tables are much more fun, with a lot more newbs(like me).

Somehow NL feels a lot more natural to me, and I've done decently well. In 60 $11 games I'm at +$220, that's 45% top-3 and 33% ROI. Since this is 2.5 standard deviations above 0, I figure I'm doing something right.

According to other posts on this forum, 50% ROI is considered proficient. I was wondering though, how long did it take you to get to this level? A week, a month, 6 months? Was this all practice playing NL? Since limit seems so different in having to calculate pot odds.

What do you feel was the change that really boosted your play? Being able to characterize the players? My observation just isn't good enough to spot the stereotypes unless they do something stupid like going all-in on round 1 with A7o. Did this skill just take experience? Or more book reading?

Thanks a bunch for your help!

William
04-22-2004, 07:36 AM
Read the books and play a lot.
Nothing replaces experience.You will know you're there when you can feel it, but it's going to take a while if you want to mingle with the good players.

William /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stagemusic
04-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Interesting post and you are doing well by analyzing your play from the very start. Not many do and it can do nothing but make you a success even quicker. Kudos.

Now, there are a lot of people on this forum that will tell you the exact same thing I am about to. It will do you well to understand what I am trying to say and to not think that I am bashing you or trying to belittle you. Here it is.

There is absolutely no way that you will sustain the "in the money" rate that you are currently experiencing. NLHE is a game of variance. You combat that variance simply by experience. Mike Sexton best line ever goes...Holdem, a few minutes to learn and a lifetime to master. It's true. Swings are inevitable. Experience will help you. The books will help you. Read, read, play, play, play and PAY. You will PAY. It's Poker after all. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

William
04-22-2004, 08:33 AM
play and PAY. You will PAY. It's Poker after all.

So you're asking him where he plays, what his nick is and when he usually plays?
Very clever /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS Is this how you finance your LL bets with me? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stagemusic
04-22-2004, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So you're asking him where he plays, what his nick is and when he usually plays?
Very clever

William

PS Is this how you finance your LL bets with me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Up at 1:30pm and feeling frisky today huh? Must have run into some Swedes with swollen wallets and even more swollen opinions of their Holdem skills. You seem to have a whole pocketfull of smartass today /images/graemlins/grin.gif

In answer to your question...Why didn't I think of that? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William
04-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Unfortunately, I run into a bunch of Danes yesterday (expensive evening) but some Swedes at my Stars tables right now are donating considerable amounts, so it helps with the mood /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I am not always full of clever replies? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

aslowjoe
04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I have about 350 games under my belt now. The first 50 games produced my best roi 300%, then I learned how to play and my roi was about 15%. My last 150 games my roi is slightly above 50%. Have I become a good player, I don't think so. About a third of the players playing Party $10 NLHE are disastarous so they make you play seem better then it is. As for me I guess it is time for me to move up, I am expecting the next level to be substantialy tougher and my roi to drop in 1/2 or more for awhile. Keep reading books, this and other websites buy poker racker and always have fun.

aslowjoe
04-22-2004, 04:15 PM
The statement should read $300 profit in my first 50 games.
Not 300% ROI.