PDA

View Full Version : SB what do you play?

jdl22
04-22-2004, 03:13 AM
In another thread Ben quoted a Ciaffone article in Card Player where he said that completing in the small blind with a small suited connector is bad news because your position is so bad (in fact the worst).

As I mentioned in the aforementioned thread I had pretty much been completing with anything that could make a straight or flush with the perfect flop, unless the bb was known to be aggressive.

After thinking about this a bit I'm fairly certain I'm giving away nearly half a big blind per round doing this. What do you guys play out of the sb?

Tilted Litt
04-22-2004, 04:36 AM
I have been doing about the same thing as you, playing medium one-gap cards (57 on up) and small suited connectors. After reading that same quote I've been thinking about it and will most likely stop playing unless there are a lot of callers or there's a maniac who limped in.

mauisupaman
04-22-2004, 05:09 AM
I play alot of suited connectors, actually any type of connector. For half a BB I get great implied odds for flopping monsters. I've won some of my biggest pots with 74o in the SB. I suspect opponents pay me off too, just b/c they can't give me credit for such hands.

schwza
04-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I also had been playing hands down to 54o. Guess it's time to stop doing that if Ciaffone says 54s is unplayable.

MVicuna
04-22-2004, 04:11 PM
Man NL is going to be rock fest in no-time flat now. When people aren't calling with 1:8 odds on hands that are 1:5 against 2 limpers and the BB blind.

You add in one random crappy hand by one of the loose players your game *must* have for you to make money. And your getting 1:10 odds on hands that have great implied odds.

At Party's 50xBB games AA/KK get pot commited after 1 reraise when you flop trips or 2 pair. And so many weak players there can't get away from those hands.

They are also nice and loose and you can get a lot of multi-way action past the flop so a lot of times you'll flop draws that have immediate odds to call.

Have I mentioned how passive they are?

Seriously, Their advice HAS to be geared to play against WSOP bracelet winners not the fishes who'll see flops with Q7s and will just call with TPWK as your sucking out against the over pair.

MarkV.

AeonBlues
04-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Your right about it being situational. Also, there's a diferace between tourney, and money games. What I'm looking for when I complete the small blind with a suited connector is a lot of players in the pot. The more players the better odds that you will get paid if you flop a str8, 2 pair, or a better hand. Actually, the flush is weak outa position. As you offten want to check the flop.

AeonBlues