PDA

View Full Version : ROY basketball

Boris
04-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Carmelo was hands down the rookie of the year. carried his team in the tough western conference. couldn't overcome the lebron hype though. your thoughts?

ThaSaltCracka
04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
I agree, Lebron had all the hype, but remember, Melo had a better supporting cast than Lebron. I dunno, they should have had a co-rookie of the year award.

adios
04-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Carmello and LeBron both had great rookie seasons. I agree with SaltCracka, they both were deserving. Can't really argue with your preference for Carmello though.

banditbdl
04-22-2004, 02:36 AM
I think the writers made the correct decision in giving it to LeBron. LeBron really makes the players around him better in a way Carmelo didn't during his rookie campaign. For example, in watching the Wolves-Nuggets playoff game tonite I simply lost track of the number of 17-20 foot fadeways Carmelo hoisted up. At the same time I can't remember one great pass or really savvy play that Carmelo made without the ball tonite. Every game you watch LeBron play in it seems he gives you some of these moments (he did average almost 6 assists to Carmelo's 3, the only real statistical difference between the two.) You might say that Carmelo's team is in the playoffs but I just think it has more to do with the rest of the team than Carmelo being somehow better than LeBron. Hell, as a Wolves fan little Earl Boykins scares me 10 times more then Melo right now. That 5' 5" dynamo absolutely kills us.

IrishHand
04-22-2004, 07:20 AM
They were both worthy. I disagree 100% with people who think LeBron should be given credit for playing through the hype - who cares? However, much as I like 'Melo more as a player, I respect what LeBron did this season. For that awful Cavs team to be anywhere near the playoffs and for him to put up the bulk (PTS, REB, AST) numbers that he did was amazing.

If I were voting fpor the NBA RoY, I'd look at individual brilliance combined with team success as a modifying factor. Ultimately, both were close in both areas making either player defensible.

J.R.
04-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Don't judge him on the plaoff series in which miller, camby and nene haven't really shown up. The wolves play that man but fade to zone when melo gets the ball to keep him from having lanes to drive to the hole through. Saunders is open that their whole defense startegy is focused on stopping melo. The Nugs fast break (they lead the league in fast break points) is non-existent in this series, and as a result they are out of sync in the half court (no ball or player movement, little screening and pick and rolling) and put carmelo in the awkward spot of having to hoist shots as the clock winds down.

namknils
04-22-2004, 05:57 PM
LeBron averaged more than 20 pts 5 assts and 5 rebs for the season. Only Oscar Robinson and Michael have done it before. I think LeBron is the winner over 'Melo.