PDA

View Full Version : Huge hand on the first hand

Smithers
04-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi all,
allow me to preface this by saying that I am probably not as good as most of you, but a respectable player who makes the right decisions most of the time on instinct and vague mathematical deduction. Not as learned as y'all in a lot of things, though. This is my first post, too.

The following happened to me on the very first hand of a $10+1 ten-person mini-NL-tournament on Paradise last night:

I was UTG and dealt A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif-5 /images/graemlins/club.gif. Blinds were 5/10, and I called. Three players after me called. The flop came A /images/graemlins/heart.gif-5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif-A /images/graemlins/club.gif. I checked, and the other three guys all checked too. The turn came, 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, and i bet ten chips (the minimum). Everyone called. The river was an 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet all-in, two guys folded, and the third, tragically for him, called, with two pair (9's and 8's).

Thoughts? Was the ten-chip bet stupid? Should I have bet less than all-in and did I just get lucky to have someone that stupid at the table?

sublime
04-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Welcome Smithers /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fold pre-flop.

The check on the flop isn't a bad move as you are hoping for somebody to try and buy the pot and come over the top, than nail em with a huge raise.

On the turn bet AT LEAST the pot, preferably more.

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-21-2004, 03:14 PM
On the turn bet AT LEAST the pot, preferably more.

I don't agree. Any bet on the turn will tend to look like a failed flop checkraise. The minimum bet was probably too small, so maybe betting half the pot might work. The idea is to string opponents along and ane they catch up .