PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this hand?

Ritter
04-21-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm curious of people's opinions...

5 left in a $10 SNG, I'm in 4th place, SB
Blinds are 100/200 - no ante

SB (me) 1170
BB - 1040
3 seat - 3500
4 seat - 2840
5 seat - 1450

My hand - A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gif
3 seat - fold
4 seat - call
5 seat - fold
SB (me) - raise 150
BB - call
4 seat - call

FLOP - 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB (me) - check
BB - bet all-in 590
4 seat - call 590
SB (me) - raise all-in 720
4 seat - call 130
Turn K /images/graemlins/club.gif, River J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

boo-hoo-hoo, get shown Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif by the BB and Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gifby the other guy. The straights split my chips, and I head to 2+2...

Sorry for the newbie post, but well, I'm new... Just trying to figure out this no-limit tourney game.

LetsRock
04-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Your PF raise was really weak (and doesn't even seem possible as most raises must be at least the amount of the BB...) and really didn't accomplish much. If you're going to raise, raise at least 2-4x BB.

It's hard to believe you got away with a c/r after you opened with a raise.

After the flop you just got unlucky. Getting your chips in on the flop was a good move (especially getting them to bet into you with the c/r) and they just got perfect cards.

Nothing more you can do. A bigger PFR would have gotten you a little more room for sympathy, but you let them come in pretty cheap.

Ritter
04-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Screwed up my post - it was a T250 raise, so all players had T450 in the pot pre-flop. Still weak though - I guess I got the action I asked for... Is it better at this stage to just push in, say hail mary and be happy with the blinds?

NotMitch
04-21-2004, 12:09 PM
With 6x the BB you have two choice on any hand prefolp, all in or fold.

PrayingMantis
04-21-2004, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally correct, however, AA can be played sometimes differently, depending on the opposition, dynamics, stack-sizes and specific level. For example: here, if CO (who has more than 2800) will limp, say, with AT, but then will fold to an all-in by hero, it is not necessarily bad to raise less than all-in, make BB fold, and hope CO calls or re-raises all-in. If he calls you push on the flop, of course, unless you hit big.

If you believe someone might call an all-in PF regardless, sure it's the best move. The point to remember, no matter how you play it, is that all-in here may turn your AA into 72, (as a paraphrase on Sklansky). For instance: if you were very tight the whole game, and your opponents are very weak-tight and shy.

Ritter
04-21-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting - at what point do you think this kicks in? How about 7x BB? 8xBB? 10xBB?

PrayingMantis
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is interesting - at what point do you think this kicks in? How about 7x BB? 8xBB? 10xBB?

[/ QUOTE ]

there are different approaches here. Certainly when you're around 10xBB and below, there's not much reasonable play for you, except of all-in or fold, with some minor variations. This is what is called sometimes "all-in/fold territory". Notice that in SNGs, you are usually getting into this territory pretty fast.

NotMitch
04-21-2004, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10xBB would be a good guess. With 10x BB you can still raise 3xbb pre flop and make a potish sized bet on the flop. Not having enough in your stack to make a flop bet that can make someone fold is a very bad thing.