PDA

View Full Version : PF laydown with a very short stack

Zetack
04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Ok I may have misplayed this pretty darn badly. But I'm wondering if my laydown to the Pf raise was alright.

A lot of hands were not being contested if there was a late raiser. I had just over 10 times the BB and was getting a tad desperate. The table was temporarily short handed.

UTG (t850)
UTG+1 (t5345)
MP1 (t3740)
Hero (t1610)
CO (t6117)
Button (t11186)
SB (t5825)
BB (t3945)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, Hero raises to t600, CO raises to t6117, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t6942

Ok, when I saw the A-x suited I thought, if it gets checked to me I'm shoving in. In retrospect, if thats a steal am I in late enought position for it and if its a survival play can I afford to wait longer?

Then I actually only put in t600. I thought I might get called by a worse hand (K-Q say) and it gives me the opportunity to get away from a really lousy flop with enough chips to play another hand.

The cut-off went all for his t6117. I thought about that for a long time. It looked to me like medium to small pair and I was a big dog to that, also I was dog to any ace. And I thought, if I hadn't shoved all in because I wanted the opportunity to lay down if I had too, how much sense would it make to refuse to lay down?

The only hand I would like to be against would be two nonpaired cards lower than an ace. And while his raise could have been an isolation against a small stack with something iffy, I was just behind to too many hands, I thought. And I had just enough chip left to play another hand. So I laid it down.

I went out a few hands later, going all in with A-J suited-- paired the Jack and lost to a set of eights.

So...was this horrible all around or did any of it make any sense?

--Zetack

DougBrennan
04-21-2004, 02:16 PM
My feeling is that A3, suited or not, is not a good steal hand, for all the reasons you enumerated. Just,way, way too many hands you don't want to see. However,if you are going to go for it, I think that all-in is the play here.
This certainly prevents anyone from making a play on you (since they know you cannot lay it down), and probably eliminates some of the hands you don't want to go up against.

Doug

nolanfan34
04-21-2004, 08:26 PM
I would also say all-in or fold here, because of the reasons mentioned. Your analysis is good I think.

Based on your stack size compared to the rest of the table, I just don't know if that raise scares people into thinking that you have a monster hand.

With 10x BB, I would fold this anyway. You have time to wait for something better, and that's just not a strong enough hand to steal with when you have people with 4 and 5 times your stack size behind you. With smaller stacks behind you it might work, but I'd wait for a better chance.

Of course I'd also have pushed in with AJs a few hands later too - that's poker for ya.

sdplayerb
04-21-2004, 08:53 PM
If there were antes, i could see you stealing here.
But you would be risking 1600 to win 225. Not really worth it.
If you think he had a pair, I'd call here. You are getting around 2.5-1 on your call.

Especially from mid position it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Greg (FossilMan)
04-21-2004, 09:14 PM
As a very strong general rule, don't ever put in more than 30% of your stack and then fold preflop. The exceptions to this rule are so rare that you might go for years without seeing one, and when you do, not-folding preflop will never be a huge mistake.

That being said, I would've raised all-in if there was a pretty high chance of stealing, and folded otherwise.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

FletchJr.
04-22-2004, 12:43 AM
in regards to a shortstack right?