PDA

View Full Version : AJo blind steal gets reraised by the BB - action?

JSD
04-21-2004, 07:33 AM
8-handed Party NL $25 (.50 BB). Villian and I both have largish stacks around $50.

I open-raise to $2 in the cutoff with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. BB, who is in almost every hand but hasn't been doing much pre-flop raising, makes it $3.50. I call.

Flop is A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. BB checks and I make a pot-sized bet ($7). BB check-raises $14 and I fold.

Two questions:

1) Easy fold pre-flop when the loose-passive button raises back into me and I'm holding a dominated hand?

2) Was a pot-sized bet too aggressive for this hand and this flop? Would I have been better off tossing a small bet out to test the waters?

Guy McSucker
04-21-2004, 09:03 AM
I hate these situations preflop. The min-reraise is a complete pain, because it's somehow too small to fold to: you don't want to make the laydown or you'll have all kinds of players taking cheap shots at you. Hang on, maybe that's a good thing if you're usually on a good hand when you raise.

Anyway, on the flop I think $5 would do it. He's either got an ace (or better), or he hasn't. If he has, he'll come along for the ride, and there's a good chance you're behind after his preflop reraise. If he hasn't, he'll most likely fold to any reasonable bet.

Guy.

JSD
04-21-2004, 09:15 AM
After I mucked, he showed his AKo.

I don't know whether his minraise pre-flop was an intentional trap (but then why not just smooth call it?). I think I would have folded if it had been over $4.

After the fact I realized that my flop bet was probably too big. What about checking behind here and seeing what he does on the turn? I don't really mind giving free cards too much (and a spade actually helps my hand a bit).