PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles, Technical Music Question

04-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Anytime I watch a documentary on the Beatles, all the people interviewed (espesially Brian Epstein) "always" mention that one of the main things, if not 'thee' main thing, that caught their attention initially was not only their music, but their "Beat."

Okay, so I guess the Beatles had stumbled upon some 'new beat' that wasn't used often (or at all) in popular music at that time: 1950's American rock, Skittle, and maybe one or two other types as well.

Anyway, I was wondering what "The New Beat" was that the Beatles were using in their music (the early years)? Was it 4/4 timing (that's what it sounds like to me)? Was other popular music at that time using only 2/4, or 3/4 time signatures?

Thanks for any help, iL douché

andyfox
04-22-2004, 12:31 AM
I don't think it's the time sign, so much as the pulse. The pulse of the early Beatles hits sounds faster than '50s rock. It's a more driving rhythm. Sing "Rock Around the Clock" to yourself and then "I Wanna Hold Your Hand." Seem like "Rock Around the Clock" has a quicker pulse. All rock was in 2/4 or 4/4.

James Boston
04-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Very little rock n roll has been recorded in 3/4 time. It's almost all 4/4, with some 6/8. Rock music prior to the Beatles borrowed heavily from swing. I don't know how to explain this really. Maybe the best description would be "music you can snap your fingers to." I know, technically you could snap to anything, but maybe you can imagine what I'm talking about. The Beatles incorporated a more "driving" rhythm.