PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded, 10-20, AK, what next?

Eric P
04-21-2004, 05:29 AM
I'm in the big blind in a five handed 10-20 game and i have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif . Folded to button who raises (he is a bad player who will bluff by betting out and occasionally raising, but very rarely will 3-bet, he will call wiht most anything that hits the flop and has a hard time folding any pair on the end in a short game.) And it's folded to me, I'm almost certain he has an Ace but even if he doesn't, if i 3-bet he will bet any non ace flop and i won't be able to make him fold until the river, and then only if he has no pair. I just call, knowing that if i flop a king or an ace i can check/call him down but check/raise the river.

Flop:
Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
I check, he bets, I call (no good? he won't fold a queen but he won't 3-bet it either, he also will call with a king or probably anything, the point is this guy loves the river, it still may have been right to bet out)
Turn:

Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
This card is good for me, if he bets i am toast, if I bet and he calls it means he has between ace high and anything.
I check, he checks
River:
K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
I grab my chips and think for a second. I am almost certainly i didn't need to improve to be good after he check the turn.

what should i do?

Results: <font color="white"> </font> I check, he bet, i reluctantly called, he showed Ad9d for the rivered nuts, i muck.

Steve Giufre
04-21-2004, 05:53 AM
I like the check. Even though this one might look like a value betting oppertunity, I think you need to check and try to induce a bluff as you did. With a board of Q Q 5 3, if he cant bet the turn, he isnt calling you on the river unless the king hit him. So you collect a bet when he makes a worse king, but lose a bet when he checked a monster on the turn or makes a flush on the river. But if you check, you give him a chance to bluff at it on the river, and a lot of players will when a card like this hits and you check it to him. You dont really risk him checking behind with a hand he would have called a bet with, because I'm sure he is betting any king on the end, and would have bet a small pocket pair on the turn. Well played.