PDA

View Full Version : preflop raising and being less predictable

jdl22
04-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Having used Poker tracker and looking at my play I've discovered that when I raise I'm pretty damn predictable. I pretty much only raise AA-JJ (not always with jacks), AK and AKs, and when I really feel like mixing it up I'll throw a raise in LP with AQs, but I don't feel quite that crazy very often.

I do raise the same every time, usually 5 bb at the NL100 tables at party. On occasion when there are only weak-tight players left in the hand I will ignore my cards and raise the same amount pretty much always taking down the blinds plus limp money right there. If they call firing out the flop will do it.

So my question is other than these pure bluffing plays, which types of hands would be good to raise with? As of now if I'm not bluffing my raise indicates a big hand so I fear good players will be able to read me far too easily and I will slam into more than my fair share of sets vs. overpair because of my predictability. I've thought about expanding in LP by raising hands like 98s but I'm not sure because players at the NL100 tend to play weak-tight and thus rarely pay off a flush.

Any thoughts?

edit: Just wanted to add that I think this gets me into some trouble on my overpair hands. When they call my raise and I pot it on the flop and they call I always think "Holy *%$@, this guy isn't scared of the overpair" because I feel like my play is too obvious. Then I inevitably must decide whether I'm right and he isn't scared of an overpair or tptk and I'm beaten or whether the guy is an idiot and should be scared of my holdings. This means that if I'm wrong it's extremely costly.

mauisupaman
04-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Online I've been raising with small pockets. I pop it for the same amount that i do with big pockets or AK and whatever. It seems to work only with 2 different types of tables. First, a table that I can get HU when I raise. Or, second, a table with multiple callers (when you hit a set).