PDA

View Full Version : A sub-country?

Zeno
04-21-2004, 02:34 AM
Canada! AAh - even the name is dull. Most of the following thoughts on Canada are gleaned from a book called 'The Traveling Curmudgeon' compiled and edited by Jon Winokur. Enjoy!

Canada is the vichyssoise of nations: Cold, half-French, and difficult to stir. - Stuart Keate

The symbol of contemporary Canada is the beaver, that industrious rodent whose destiny it was to furnish hats that warmed better brains than his own. - Roy Daniells

A few acres of snow. - voltaire

Canada is a country whose main exports are hockey players and cold fronts. Our main imports are baseball players and acid rain. - Pierre Trudeau

Canada is a country so square that even the female impersonators are women. - Richard Brenner

Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity. - Marshall McLuhan

When I was there I found their jokes like their roads - very long and not very good, leading to a little tin point of a spire which has been remorselessly obvious for miles without seeming to get any nearer. - Samuel Butler

American's attic. - Patrick Anderson

For some reason, a glaze passes over people's faces when you say Canada. - Sondra Gotlieb

If the U.S. invaded Mexico there would be an uproar, if the U.S. invaded Canada no one would know or care, least of all, the Canadians. -Zeno

I really like that last one. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Which is more uninteresting - Canada or Rhode Island? Or is the question not worth asking?

-Zeno

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Canada! AAh - even the name is dull.

Didn't the name Canada come from the reply of a Spanish explorer to the question of what he had found? His answer was "Aca nada" - nothing here.

ThaSaltCracka
04-21-2004, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
American's attic. - Patrick Anderson

[/ QUOTE ]
My Fav.
Maybe thats why they hate us so much. I swear canadians care more about American politics than Americans do.
They also seem to care more about American politics than Canadian as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity. - Marshall McLuhan

[/ QUOTE ]
They are desperately searching for one though, and something other than being a lackey of Britain. They always flaunt their culture and values, but you can really only talk about Hockey for so long.

[ QUOTE ]
The symbol of contemporary Canada is the beaver, that industrious rodent whose destiny it was to furnish hats that warmed better brains than his own. - Roy Daniells

[/ QUOTE ]
Our beavers are better too, they build the biggest most bad ass beaver dams in North America. Our other beavers are better too /images/graemlins/grin.gif.